beltway, bypass, ring road, ringway(noun)
a highway that encircles an urban area so that traffic does not have to pass through the center
a surgically created shunt (usually around a damaged part)
shunt, electrical shunt, bypass(verb)
a conductor having low resistance in parallel with another device to divert a fraction of the current
bypass, short-circuit, go around, get around(verb)
avoid something unpleasant or laborious
"You cannot bypass these rules!"
a road that passes around something, such as a residential area
a section of pipe that conducts a fluid around some other fixture
an electrical shunt
an alternative passage created to divert a bodily fluid around a damaged organ; the surgical procedure to construct such a bypass
to avoid an obstacle etc, by constructing or using a bypass
to ignore the usual channels or procedures
A bypass is a road or highway that avoids or "bypasses" a built-up area, town, or village, to let through traffic flow without interference from local traffic, to reduce congestion in the built-up area, and to improve road safety. If there are no strong land use controls, buildings are often built in town along a bypass, converting it into an ordinary town road, and the bypass may eventually become as congested as the local streets it was intended to avoid. Shopping centres and some other companies often are built there for ease of access, while homes are often avoided for noise reasons.
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Bypass' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3423
The numerical value of Bypass in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of Bypass in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We establish a circuit, and everything is air-tight, and that’s standard myocardial bypass.
It's possible to imagine a variety of ways for a woman to bypass this regulation, but no one should be forced to do so.
Gastric bypass is considered the gold standard, but over the past five or six years, there have been more sleeve gastrectomy procedures.
CN engineering crews are now focused on completing the temporary bypass, and CN expects to have the line back in service late tomorrow afternoon.
The genius of the attacker in the Carbanak case is taking the time to learn directly from the victim and thus bypass fraud prevention measures through sheer mimicry.
Images & Illustrations of Bypass
Translations for Bypass
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- байпас, обиколен път, заобикалям, шунт, заобикалянеBulgarian
- apartador, derivació, bypass, variant, anastomosi de derivació per a revascularització cardíaca, desviació, canal de derivació, camí secundari, canal d'alimentació, rondaCatalan, Valencian
- Bypass, Umgehungsstraße, UmgehungGerman
- πάροδος, πλάγια οδός, παρακάμπτω, παράκαμψη, αορτοστεφανιαία παράκαμψη, καταστρατήγησηGreek
- variante, baipásSpanish
- sivuputki, ohitusleikkaus, ohittaa, sivuuttaa, ohikulkutie, kiertäminenFinnish
- déviation, contourner, pontage, contournement, passer outreFrench
- seachbhealach, seachbhóthar, seachródIrish
- elkerül, elkerülőút, megkerül, figyelmen kívül hagyHungarian
- 迂回路, バイパスJapanese
- sluipweg, rondweg, omzeilenDutch
- ocolire, deviațieRomanian
- обход, байпас, обходная дорога, шунт, обходный путьRussian
- kringled, förbifartsled, bypass, förbifartSwedish
Get even more translations for Bypass »
Find a translation for the Bypass definition in other languages:
Select another language: