a feeling of delight at being entertained
an activity that is diverting and that holds the attention
An activity that is entertaining or amusing, such as dancing, gunning, and fishing.
Origin: Borrowed from amusement, from .
deep thought; muse
the state of being amused; pleasurable excitement; that which amuses; diversion
Amusement is the state of experiencing humorous and entertaining events or situations, and is associated with enjoyment, happiness, laughter and pleasure. Current studies have not yet reached consensus on the exact purpose of amusement, though theories have been advanced in the fields of psychology, psychiatry and sociology. In addition, the precise mechanism that causes a given element to be perceived as more or less 'amusing' than another, similar element to a particular individual is not clearly understood.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'AMUSEMENT' in Nouns Frequency: #2930
The numerical value of AMUSEMENT in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of AMUSEMENT in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Amusement is the happiness of those who cannot think.
Like the bee, we should make our industry our amusement.
You can't live on amusement. It is the froth on water -- an inch deep and then the mud.
A slight touch of friendly malice and amusement towards those we love keeps our affections for them from turning flat.
A fondness for satire indicates a mind pleased with irritating others for myself, I never could find amusement in killing flies.
Images & Illustrations of AMUSEMENT
Translations for AMUSEMENT
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- развлечение, забавлениеBulgarian
- Entertainment, Vergnügen, Amüsement, UnterhaltungGerman
- αναψυχή, ψυχαγωγία, διασκέδασηGreek
- diversión, divertimientoSpanish
- سرگرمی, شادی خوشحالی خوشی مسرتPersian
- huvitus, hilpeys, huvi, huvittuneisuusFinnish
- שעשוע, כיוףHebrew
- intrattenimento, festeggiamento, divertimentoItalian
- 娯楽, アミューズメント, 遊びJapanese
- эрмек, оюн-зоок, көңүл ачуу, эриккенди жазууKyrgyz
- забава, разонодаMacedonian
- amusement, vertierDutch
- забава, развлечениеRussian
- razvedrilo, zabavaSlovene
- eğlenti, eğlence, etkinlik, uğraşıTurkish
- hài hướcVietnamese
Get even more translations for AMUSEMENT »
Find a translation for the AMUSEMENT definition in other languages:
Select another language: