a hypothetical three-dimensional visual world created by a computer; user wears special goggles and fiber optic gloves etc., and can enter and move about in this world and interact with objects as if inside it
A reality that is only based in the computer.
Origin: From virtual and reality
Virtual reality is a term that applies to computer-simulated environments that can simulate physical presence in places in the real world, as well as in imaginary worlds. Most current virtual reality environments are primarily visual experiences, displayed either on a computer screen or through special stereoscopic displays, but some simulations include additional sensory information, such as sound through speakers or headphones. Some advanced, haptic systems now include tactile information, generally known as force feedback, in medical and gaming applications. Furthermore, virtual reality covers remote communication environments which provide virtual presence of users with the concepts of telepresence and telexistence or a virtual artifact either through the use of standard input devices such as a keyboard and mouse, or through multimodal devices such as a wired glove, the Polhemus, and omnidirectional treadmills. The simulated environment can be similar to the real world in order to create a lifelike experience—for example, in simulations for pilot or combat training—or it can differ significantly from reality, such as in VR games. In practice, it is currently very difficult to create a high-fidelity virtual reality experience, due largely to technical limitations on processing power, image resolution, and communication bandwidth; however, the technology's proponents hope that such limitations will be overcome as processor, imaging, and data communication technologies become more powerful and cost-effective over time.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. Computer simulations that use 3-D graphics and devices such as the Dataglove to allow the user to interact with the simulation. See cyberspace. 2. A form of network interaction incorporating aspects of role-playing games, interactive theater, improvisational comedy, and ‘true confessions’ magazines. In a virtual reality forum (such as Usenet's alt.callahans newsgroup or the MUD experiments on Internet), interaction between the participants is written like a shared novel complete with scenery, foreground characters that may be personae utterly unlike the people who write them, and common background characters manipulable by all parties. The one iron law is that you may not write irreversible changes to a character without the consent of the person who ‘owns’ it. Otherwise anything goes. See bamf, cyberspace, teledildonics.
The numerical value of virtual reality in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of virtual reality in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Virtual Reality is like mainlining television.
Reality becomes utterly interesting in virtual reality. You don't need to necessarily change it or restage it or transform it that much.
I just masturbated to some sweet virtual reality. I still don't see why your not fascinated by a sexy virtual woman having sex right in front of you.
The tricky part is that the technologies are still under development, but shooting in virtual reality and shooting in film will be very similar in terms of cost.
We're going to find out what's good and bad about virtual reality in the months and years to come, personally I don't want to have to sit there wearing a virtual reality helmet for more than 20 minutes.
Images & Illustrations of virtual reality
Translations for virtual reality
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- واقع افتراضي, حقيقة ظاهريةArabic
- виртуална реалностBulgarian
- realitat virtualCatalan, Valencian
- virtuální realitaCzech
- virtuelle RealitätGerman
- εικονική πραγματικότηταGreek
- virtuala realoEsperanto
- realidad virtualSpanish
- virtuaalitodellisuus, virtuallinen todellisusFinnish
- realité virtuelleFrench
- réaltacht fhíorúilIrish
- מציאות מדומהHebrew
- virtuális valóságHungarian
- realità virtualeItalian
- バーチャルリアリティ, 仮想現実, 人工現実感Japanese
- virtualis reLatin
- virtual realityDutch
- realidade virtualPortuguese
- realitate virtualăRomanian
- виртуальная реальностьRussian
- sanal gerçeklikTurkish
- віртуальна реальністьUkrainian
Get even more translations for virtual reality »
Find a translation for the virtual reality definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these virtual reality definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"virtual reality." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2017. Web. 28 May 2017. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/virtual reality>.