Definitions for villainˈvɪl ən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word villain
a wicked or evil person; someone who does evil deliberately
the principal bad character in a film or work of fiction
A vile, wicked person.
The bad person in a work of fiction; often the main antagonist of the hero.
A villain was in a low level of medieval serfdom. A cotter may have been lower.
Origin: Probably villein, from villain (modern: vilain), in turn from Late , meaning serf or peasant, someone who is bound to the soil of a villa, which is to say, worked on the equivalent of a plantation in late Antiquity, in Italy or Gaul.
one who holds lands by a base, or servile, tenure, or in villenage; a feudal tenant of the lowest class, a bondman or servant
a baseborn or clownish person; a boor
a vile, wicked person; a man extremely depraved, and capable or guilty of great crimes; a deliberate scoundrel; a knave; a rascal; a scamp
to debase; to degrade
Origin: [OE. vilein, F. vilain, LL. villanus, from villa a village, L. villa a farm. See Villa.]
A villain is an "evil" character in a story, whether a historical narrative or, especially, a work of fiction. The villain usually is the antagonist, the character who tends to have a negative effect on other characters. A female villain is sometimes called a villainess. Random House Unabridged Dictionary defines villain as "a cruelly malicious person who is involved in or devoted to wickedness or crime; scoundrel; or a character in a play, novel, or the like, who constitutes an important evil agency in the plot".
Images & Illustrations of villain
Translations for villain
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- záporný hrdina, padouchCzech
- skurk, slyngelDanish
- Bösewicht, Oberböse, Gauner, SchurkeGerman
- αχρείος, κακός, παλιάνθρωπος, κάθαρμαGreek
- تبه کار, رعيتPersian
- roisto, kelmi, konna, lurjusFinnish
- vilain, scélérat, paysan, méchantFrench
- gonosz, gazemberHungarian
- farabutto, cattivo, mascalzone, scellerato, servo feudale, furfante, criminale, vassallo, canagliaItalian
- 悪漢, 悪党, 悪人, 悪役Japanese
- ಪೋಕರಿ, ಹೋಕ, ಪೋಕKannada
- злобник, никаквец, негативецMacedonian
- കുറുക്കൻ, ചതിയൻ, വഞ്ചകൻMalayalam
- slechterik, schurkDutch
- ájígaléidiiNavajo, Navaho
- czarny charakter, złoczyńca, łajdak, łotrPolish
- vilão, patife, salafrárioPortuguese
- iobag, spirit rău, șerb, răufăcător, vecin, mișel, viclean, ticălosRomanian
- вассал, мерзавец, подлец, негодяй, злодейRussian
- негативац, zlobnik, злобник, negativacSerbo-Croatian
- bov, skurkSwedish
Get even more translations for villain »
Find a translation for the villain definition in other languages:
Select another language: