animals having a bony or cartilaginous skeleton with a segmented spinal column and a large brain enclosed in a skull or cranium
having a backbone or spinal column
"fishes and amphibians and reptiles and birds and mammals are verbetrate animals"
An animal having a backbone.
Having a backbone.
one of the Vertebrata
alt. of Vertebrated
Vertebrates are animals that are members of the subphylum Vertebrata. Vertebrates include the overwhelming majority of the phylum Chordata, with currently about 64,000 species described. Vertebrates include the jawless fish, bony fish, sharks and rays, amphibians, reptiles, mammals, and birds. Extant vertebrates range in size from the frog species Paedophryne amauensis, at as little as 7.7 mm, to the blue whale, at up to 33 m. Vertebrates make up about 4% of all described animal species; the rest are invertebrates, which lack backbones. The vertebrates traditionally include the hagfish, which do not have proper vertebrae, though their closest living relatives, the lampreys, do have vertebrae. Hagfish do, however, possess a cranium. For this reason, the vertebrate subphylum is sometimes referred to as "Craniata" when discussing morphology. Molecular analysis since 1992 has suggested that the hagfish are most closely related to lampreys, and so also are vertebrates in a monophyletic sense. Others consider them a sister group of vertebrates in the common taxon of Craniata.
The numerical value of vertebrate in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of vertebrate in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Turtles have been missing their Archaeopteryx, their missing link to the rest of the vertebrate tree, since Darwin told us that we should be looking for one, with Odontochelys, Pappochelys and now Eunotosaurus, we now have a remarkable series of transitional forms that take us from an almost lizard-like creature to the modern turtle body plan that is so interesting and bizarre.
Images & Illustrations of vertebrate
Translations for vertebrate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- mellkeinek, mellkeinegBreton
- vertebratCatalan, Valencian
- σπονδυλωτό, σπονδυλωτόςGreek
- कशेरुकी जीवHindi
- vertebrate, vertebratoInterlingua
- hewan bertulang belakang, vertebrata, hewan vertebrata, bertulang belakangIndonesian
- 脊椎, 脊椎動物Japanese
- ’рбетнички, ’рбетникMacedonian
- vertebrat, haiwan vertebrat, bertulang belakangMalay
- werveldier, gewervelde, gewerveld, vertebraatDutch
- virveldyr, ryggradsdyr, ryggbeinsdyrNorwegian Nynorsk
- bíígháán dahólónígíí, naaldeehii bitsʼin dahólónígííNavajo, Navaho
- vertebrado, vertebradaPortuguese
- позвоно́чное, позвоно́чныйRussian
- králješnjak, краљешњак, kičmenjak, кичмењакSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for vertebrate »
Find a translation for the vertebrate definition in other languages:
Select another language: