Definitions for vegetarianˌvɛdʒ ɪˈtɛər i ən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word vegetarian
eater of fruits and grains and nuts; someone who eats no meat or fish or (often) any animal products
A person who does not eat animal flesh, or, in some cases, animal products.
An animal that eats only plants; a herbivore.
Of or relating to the type of diet eaten by vegetarians (in all senses).
Of a product normally made with meat, having non-meat substitutes in place of meat.
Origin: ; popularized following 1847 foundation of British .
one who holds that vegetables and fruits are the only proper food for man. Strict vegetarians eat no meat, eggs, or milk
of or pertaining to vegetarianism; as, a vegetarian diet
Vegetarian cuisine is based on food that meets vegetarian standards by not including meat and animal tissue products. For lacto-ovo vegetarianism, eggs and dairy products such as milk and cheese are permitted. For lacto vegetarianism, the earliest known type of vegetarianism, dairy products such as milk and cheese are permitted. The strictest forms of vegetarianism are veganism and fruitarianism, which exclude all animal products, including dairy products as well as honey, and even some refined sugars if filtered and whitened with bone char. Vegetarian foods can be classified into several different types: Traditional foods that have always been vegetarian include cereals, grains, fruits, vegetables, and nuts Soy products including tofu and tempeh which are common protein sources Textured vegetable protein, made from defatted soy flour, often included in chili and burger recipes in place of ground meat Meat analogues, which mimic the taste, texture, and appearance of meat and are often used in recipes that traditionally contained meat. Vegans may also use analogues for eggs and dairy products
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I'd be a Vegetarian if I didn't have to give up eating meat.
I was a vegetarian until I started leaning toward the sunlight.
If slaughterhouses had glass walls everyone would be a vegetarian.
If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.
Eating together happily can best be crowned by the vegetarian foods.
Images & Illustrations of vegetarian
Translations for vegetarian
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- vegetarià, vegetarianaCatalan, Valencian
- vegetariánka, býložravec, vegetariánCzech
- llysieuwraig, llysieuwrWelsh
- vegetar, planteæderDanish
- vegetarisch, Vegetarier, Vegetarierin, Pflanzenfresser, pflanzlichGerman
- χορτοφάγος, φυτοφάγο, χορτοφαγικόςGreek
- vegetarano, vegetaranaEsperanto
- vegetariano, vegetarianaSpanish
- وژتارین, گیاهخوارPersian
- kasvissyöjä, kasvinsyöjä, vegetaristiFinnish
- herbivore, végétarien, végétarienneFrench
- lusair, feòil-sheachnair, glasraichearScottish Gaelic
- vegetáriánus, növényevőHungarian
- 草食, 菜食主義者, ベジタリアン, 菜食主義の, 草食のJapanese
- 채식주의자, 채식주의의Korean
- greunsaeter, gruuensaeterLimburgish, Limburgan, Limburger
- veģetārs, veģetārietisLatvian
- тревопасно, вегетаријанец, вегетаријанка, вегетаријанскиMacedonian
- vegetarisch, vegetariër, herbivoorDutch
- wegetariański, wegetarianka, roślinożerca, wegetarianinPolish
- vegetariano, herbívoroPortuguese
- vegetarian, ierbivor, vegetariană, vegetarialRomanian
- вегетарианец, вегетарианский, вегетарианка, травоядноеRussian
- vegetrijanski, vegetarìjānka, bȉljojēd, vegetarijánac, bȉljožderSerbo-Croatian
- vegetarisk, vegetarianSwedish
- etyemez, otçul, vejetaryenTurkish
- planihifidaf, jihärbatiman, planijifidaf, härbatimik, planifidaf, hihärbatiman, härbatimanVolapük
Get even more translations for vegetarian »
Find a translation for the vegetarian definition in other languages:
Select another language: