Definitions for vaudevilleˈvɔd vɪl, ˈvoʊd-, ˈvɔ də-
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
vaude•villeˈvɔd vɪl, ˈvoʊd-, ˈvɔ də-(n.)
a form of popular entertainment in the U.S. from the late 1800s to the mid 1920s, having a program of separate and varied acts.
a light theatrical piece interspersed with songs and dances.
Category: Music and Dance, Showbiz
Origin of vaudeville:
1730–40; < F, shortened alter. of MF chanson du vau de Vire song of the vale of Vire, a valley of Calvados, France, noted for satirical folksongs
vaudeville, music hall(noun)
a variety show with songs and comic acts etc.
A style of multi-act theatrical entertainment which flourished in North America from the 1880s through the 1920s.
An entertainment in this style.
Origin: Corruption of (after the supposedly scandalous nature of chorus lines in 19th century Paris), where the alliterative effect thus realized was supposed to be humorous or comical.
a kind of song of a lively character, frequently embodying a satire on some person or event, sung to a familiar air in couplets with a refrain; a street song; a topical song
a theatrical piece, usually a comedy, the dialogue of which is intermingled with light or satirical songs, set to familiar airs
The Nuttall Encyclopedia
a light, lively song with topical allusions; also a dramatic poem interspersed with comic songs of the kind and dances.
The Roycroft Dictionary
A matter of verve, nerve and vermilion.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
From Lat. _vaut_, good for, and _villageois_, countryman. Good for countrymen.
Translations for vaudeville
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
the type of theatre show in which there is a variety of short acts; music-hall
There are very few theatres now where vaudeville is performed.
- فودفيل: إسْتِعْراض مَسْرَحيArabic
- teatro de revistaPortuguese (BR)
- varieté, kabaretCzech
- heitere Tanz- und SingveranstaltungGerman
- syngespil; vaudevilleDanish
- نمایش چندگانهFarsi
- (spectacle de) variétésFrench
- vodvilj, varijeteCroatian
- énekes-zenés vígjátékHungarian
- pertunjukan petilanIndonesian
- (farsakennd) gamansÿningIcelandic
- (spettacolo di varietà)Italian
- 보드빌, 노래와 희극 등을 섞은 쇼Korean
- persembahan aneka ragamMalay
- teatr rozmaitościPolish
- teatro de revistaPortuguese
- (spectacol de) varietăţiRomanian
- varieté, kabaretSlovak
- varieté, revySwedish
- vodvil, taşlamalı güldürüTurkish
- 歌舞雜耍表演Chinese (Trad.)
- водевіль; вар'єтеUkrainian
- ہفت رنگي تماشاUrdu
- chương trình tạp kỹVietnamese
- 轻歌舞剧，歌舞杂耍Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for vaudeville »