Definitions for variousˈvɛər i əs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word various
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
var•i•ous*ˈvɛər i əs(adj.)
of different kinds, as two or more things:
various cheeses for sale.
houses of various designs.
different from each other; dissimilar.
stayed at various hotels.
We spoke to the various officials.
having many different qualities:
a woman of various talent.
having a variety of colors.
* Syn: various , diverse , different , distinct describe things that are not identical. various stresses the multiplicity and variety of sorts or instances of a thing or class of things: various kinds of seaweed.diverse suggests an even wider variety or disparity: diverse opinions.different points to a separate identity, or a dissimilarity in quality or character: two different versions of the same story.distinct implies a uniqueness and lack of connection between things that may possibly be alike: plans similar in objective but distinct in method.
Origin of various:
1545–55; < L varius variegated, varied; see -ous
of many different kinds purposefully arranged but lacking any uniformity
"assorted sizes"; "his disguises are many and various"; "various experiments have failed to disprove the theory"; "cited various reasons for his behavior"
respective(a), several(a), various(a)(adj)
"the respective club members"; "specialists in their several fields"; "the various reports all agreed"
distinctly dissimilar or unlike
"celebrities as diverse as Bob Hope and Bob Dylan"; "animals as various as the jaguar and the cavy and the sloth"
having great diversity or variety
"his various achievements are impressive"; "his vast and versatile erudition"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
various(adjective)ˈvɛər i əs
There are various types of Indian cooking.; various colors of material
having a broad range (of different elements).
The reasons are various.
Origin: From varieux, from varius
different; diverse; several; manifold; as, men of various names; various occupations; various colors
changeable; uncertain; inconstant; variable
variegated; diversified; not monotonous
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'various' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #620
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'various' in Written Corpus Frequency: #809
Rank popularity for the word 'various' in Adjectives Frequency: #72
Anagrams of various
Translations for various
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
His reasons for leaving were many and various.
- مُتَنَوِّع، مُخْتَلِف الأشْكالArabic
- váriasPortuguese (BR)
- ποικίλος, διάφοροςGreek
- vario, diversoSpanish
- mismunandi, margvíslegurIcelandic
- įvairūs, skirtingiLithuanian
- dažāds; atšķirīgsLatvian
- berbagai-bagai, pelbagaiMalay
- forskjellige, diverse; atskilligeNorwegian
- divers; variatRomanian
- различный, разныйRussian
- olikartad, varierandeSwedish
- çeşitli, değişikTurkish
- 各式各樣的Chinese (Trad.)
- різний; різноманітнийUkrainian
- khác nhauVietnamese
- 各种各样的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for various »
Find a translation for the various definition in other languages:
Select another language: