unravel, unknot, unscramble, untangle, unpick(verb)
become or cause to become undone by separating the fibers or threads of
"unravel the thread"
ravel, unravel, ravel out(verb)
"can you unravel the mystery?"
"the sweater unraveled"
to separate the threads (of)
to disentangle; to disengage or separate the threads of; as, to unravel a stocking
hence, to clear from complication or difficulty; to unfold; to solve; as, to unravel a plot
to separate the connected or united parts of; to throw into disorder; to confuse
to become unraveled, in any sense
"Unravel" is the third song on the album Homogenic by Björk, which was released in 1997. The song features a prominent example of Björk's use of a half-singing, half-speaking technique which, according to folklore specialist Njall Sigurason, is comparable to that of Old Icelandic choirmen. Structurally, the song is made up of a slowly sweeping melody, saxophones, a church organ, and distant-sounding electronic beats.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
un-rav′el, v.t. to take out of a ravelled state: to unfold or explain: to separate.—v.i. to be disentangled.—adj Unrav′elable.—ns. Unrav′eller; Unrav′elment.
The numerical value of unravel in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of unravel in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Unravel the mysteries of life by LIVING in the NOW!
Like many mysteries in astronomy, it may take years, if not decades, of observational and theoretical efforts to unravel it.
It's this most amazing logistical system, But as soon as you say you can no longer transport the animals, it all starts to unravel.
We're not trying to unravel Proposition 47, we believe this was one of the pieces of Proposition 47 that was unintended in the mind of the voter.
We've passed the tipping point in the AIDS fight at the global level, but not all countries are there yet, and the gains made can easily stall or unravel.
Images & Illustrations of unravel
Translations for unravel
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- zunichte gemacht werden, einstürzen, aufdröseln, auflösen, zusammenstürzen, auftrennen, zugrundegehen, vernichtet werden, lösen, zusammenbrechen, ausfasern, enthüllen, zusammenfallen, zerfasern, entwirren, enträtseln, auseinanderdröseln, offenlegenGerman
- desenredar, deshilar, desenmarañarSpanish
- résoudre, démêler, dénouerFrench
- szálakra bont, kibogozHungarian
- sfilacciare, smagliare, districare, disfareItalian
- 解く, ほぐすJapanese
- wete, whakamatara, wetewete, ui, weweteMāori
- ontrafelen, ontwarrenDutch
- распутать, распутыватьRussian
- reda ut, rämna, fransaSwedish
Get even more translations for unravel »
Find a translation for the unravel definition in other languages:
Select another language: