Definitions for union jack
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word union jack
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
a jack consisting of the union of a national flag or ensign, as the U.S. jack, formed from the blue field and white stars of the U.S. national flag.
(caps.) the British national flag.
any flag the overall design of which is a union.
Origin of union jack:
Union Jack, Union flag(noun)
national flag of the United Kingdom
The flag of the United Kingdom, consisting of the flags of England (St. George's Cross), Scotland (St. Andrew's Cross), and Ireland (St. Patrick's Cross) now only used in Northern Ireland combined.
The flag, consisting of the blue star-studded field in the corner of the national ensign, flown at the jack staff by ships at anchor.
The flag, consisting of the flags of England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland combined, flown on ships of the government of the United Kingdom
Union Jack is a trance music collaboration between Simon Berry and Claudio Giussani, a trance music producer from England. The duo has focused on acid and tech trance and has been closely associated with the Platipus record label, which was founded by Berry. Disillusioned by the state of the early 1990s music industry, Berry and Giussani joined forces in 1993, firstly remixing Nicely’s "Away The Throttle Pedal Stop" before releasing their seminal first single, "Two Full Moons and A Trout". Their following single, "Cactus", reinforced their reputation before the release of their first album There Will Be No Armageddon. Enjoyable both at home and on the dance floor, it contained their third single, "Red Herring", which was a popular club song in the 1990s. The band was mentioned in the 1995 film, Hackers. In 2008, after a 7-year hiatus, Union Jack recommenced with a career spanning live set at the Ultra Music Festival, taking in all their classic tracks. Following the success of that live date the pair entered the studio to work on Pylon Pigs, Union Jack’s first new material in eleven years.
The Nuttall Encyclopedia
originally the flag of Great Britain, on which the crosses of St. George and St. Andrew are blended, with which certain white streaks were blended or fimbriated after the Union with Ireland.
Translations for union jack
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
the national flag of the United Kingdom.
- Union JackAfrikaans
- العَلَم البريطانيArabic
- националното знаме на Обединеното кралствоBulgarian
- bandeira inglesaPortuguese (BR)
- britská státní vlajkaCzech
- der Union JackGerman
- Union JackDanish
- η βρετανική σημαίαGreek
- bandera del Reino UnidoSpanish
- Suurbritannia riigilippEstonian
- Ison-Britannian lippuFinnish
- Union JackFrench
- הַדֶגֶל הַבּרִיטִיHebrew
- यूनियन जैकHindi
- zastava Velike BritanijeCroatian
- a brit zászlóHungarian
- bendera InggrisIndonesian
- breski ríkisfáninnIcelandic
- (bandiera nazionale britannica)Italian
- 영국 국기, 유니언 잭Korean
- Britanijos nacionalinė vėliavaLithuanian
- Lielbritānijas valsts karogsLatvian
- bendera Union JackMalay
- Britse vlagDutch
- det britiske nasjonalflaggetNorwegian
- flaga brytyjskaPolish
- bandeira inglesaPortuguese
- Union Jack, steagul Marii BritaniiRomanian
- государственный флаг ВеликобританииRussian
- štátna vlajka Veľkej BritánieSlovak
- državna zastava Velike BritanijeSlovenian
- zastava Ujedinjenog KraljevstvaSerbian
- Union JackSwedish
- Birleşik Krallık BayrağıTurkish
- 英國國旗Chinese (Trad.)
- державний прапор Великої БританіїUkrainian
- برطانيہ کا قومي پرچمUrdu
- quốc kì AnhVietnamese
- 英国国旗Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for union jack »
Find a translation for the union jack definition in other languages:
Select another language: