Definitions for unidentified flying object
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word unidentified flying object
unidentified flying object, UFO, flying saucer(noun)
an (apparently) flying object whose nature is unknown; especially those considered to have extraterrestrial origins
unidentified flying object(Noun)
Anything not readily explainable appearing to move through or be suspended in the air, primarily used to refer to objects that seem to be at least of small familiar aircraft size. Abbreviated UFO.
unidentified flying object(Noun)
An alien spacecraft. More commonly called a UFO.
Origin: The phrase is usually attributed to Edward J. Ruppelt who coined it as a replacement of the terms flying saucer and flying disk.
Unidentified flying object
An unidentified flying object, or UFO, in its most general definition, is any apparent anomaly in the sky that is not readily identifiable as any known object or phenomenon by visual observation and/or use of associated instrumentation such as radar. These anomalies were referred to popularly as "flying saucers" or "flying discs" during the late 1940s and early 1950s. The term "UFO" was officially created in 1953 by the U.S. Air Force to replace the more popular terms because of the variety of shapes described other than "discs" or "saucers". It was stated that a "UFOB" was "any airborne object which by performance, aerodynamic characteristics, or unusual features, does not conform to any presently known aircraft or missile type, or which cannot be positively identified as a familiar object." As originally defined, the term was restricted to those fraction of cases which remained unidentified after investigation, with USAF interest being for potential national security reasons and/or "technical aspects". The term UFO became more widespread during the 1950s, at first in professional literature, but later in popular use. UFOs garnered considerable interest during the Cold War, an era associated with a heightened concern for national security.
Translations for unidentified flying object
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- NUO, naməlum uçan obyektAzerbaijani
- neidentifikovatelný létající předmět, UFOCzech
- UFO, unidentifiziertes FlugobjektGerman
- ΑΤΙΑ, άγνωστης ταυτότητας ιπτάμενο αντικείμενοGreek
- NIFO, ne-identifita flug-objektoEsperanto
- objeto volador no identificadoSpanish
- tunnistamaton lentävä esine, UFOFinnish
- objet volant non-identifié, OVNIFrench
- FFH, fljúgandi furðuhluturIcelandic
- oggetto volante non identificato, OVNIItalian
- 空飛ぶ円盤, UFO, 未確認飛行物体, 宇宙船Japanese
- uidentifisert flygende objektNorwegian
- objeto voador não-identificadoPortuguese
- летающая тарелка, НЛО, неопознанный летающий объектRussian
- Oidentifierat flygande objekt, Oidentifierat flygande föremål, UFOSwedish
- đĩa bay, tàu bay chưa nhận biếtVietnamese
Get even more translations for unidentified flying object »
Find a translation for the unidentified flying object definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these unidentified flying object definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"unidentified flying object." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2015. Web. 27 May 2015. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/unidentified flying object>.