Definitions for throttleˈθrɒt l
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word throttle
accelerator, throttle, throttle valve(noun)
a valve that regulates the supply of fuel to the engine
accelerator, accelerator pedal, gas pedal, gas, throttle, gun(verb)
a pedal that controls the throttle valve
"he stepped on the gas"
restrict, restrain, trammel, limit, bound, confine, throttle(verb)
place limits on (extent or access)
"restrict the use of this parking lot"; "limit the time you can spend with your friends"
strangle, strangulate, throttle(verb)
kill by squeezing the throat of so as to cut off the air
"he tried to strangle his opponent"; "A man in Boston has been strangling several dozen prostitutes"
reduce the air supply
"choke a carburetor"
the windpipe, or trachea; the weasand
the throttle valve
to compress the throat of; to choke; to strangle
to utter with breaks and interruption, in the manner of a person half suffocated
to shut off, or reduce flow of, as steam to an engine
to have the throat obstructed so as to be in danger of suffocation; to choke; to suffocate
to breathe hard, as when nearly suffocated
A throttle is the mechanism by which the flow of a fluid is managed by constriction or obstruction. An engine's power can be increased or decreased by the restriction of inlet gases, but usually decreased. The term throttle has come to refer, informally and incorrectly, to any mechanism by which the power or speed of an engine is regulated. What is often termed a throttle is more correctly called a thrust lever. For a steam engine, the steam valve that sets the engine speed/power is often known as a regulator.
Images & Illustrations of throttle
Translations for throttle
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ventil, brzdit, škrtitCzech
- Drossel, drosseln, Gaspedal, würgenGerman
- estrangular, aceleradorSpanish
- kaasuläppä, kuristusläppä, kaasuttaa, kaasu, kuristaa, kaasupoljinFinnish
- accélérateur, étrangler, limiterFrench
- mùch, tachdScottish Gaelic
- fékez, lefékez, lassítHungarian
- acceleratore, soffocare, rallentareItalian
- アクセレレーター, アクセル, スロットルJapanese
- душить, замедлять, акселератор, дроссельRussian
- ventil, вентил, oduzeti gas, zadaviti, zagušiti, pedala gasa, papučica gasaSerbo-Croatian
- strypa, gaspedalSwedish
Get even more translations for throttle »
Find a translation for the throttle definition in other languages:
Select another language: