that time; that moment
"we will arrive before then"; "we were friends from then on"
at a specific prior time
"the then president"
then, so, and so, and then(adverb)
subsequently or soon afterward (often used as sentence connectors)
"then he left"; "go left first, then right"; "first came lightning, then thunder"; "we watched the late movie and then went to bed"; "and so home and to bed"
in that case or as a consequence
"if he didn't take it, then who did?"; "keep it then if you want to"; "the case, then, is closed"; "you've made up your mind then?"; "then you'll be rich"
at that time
"I was young then"; "prices were lower back then"; "science as it was then taught"
It will be finished before then.
At that time.
He was happy then.
Next in order; in addition.
There are three green ones, then a blue one.
In that case.
At the same time; on the other hand.
Thatu2019s a nice shirt, but then, so is the other one.
At the time that; when.
used to contradict an assertion.
being so at that time
Origin: From then, than, from þonne, þanne, þænne, from þan-, from to-. Cognate with dan, dann, þá. Related to than.
at that time (referring to a time specified, either past or future)
soon afterward, or immediately; next; afterward
at another time; later; again
in that case; in consequence; as a consequence; therefore; for this reason
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
then, adv. at that time: afterward: immediately: at another time.—conj. for that reason, therefore: in that case.—adj. being at that time.—n. a specific time already mentioned.—By then, by that time. [A doublet of than.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'then' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #71
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'then' in Written Corpus Frequency: #51
Rank popularity for the word 'then' in Adverbs Frequency: #3
Rank popularity for the word 'then' in Adjectives Frequency: #906
The numerical value of then in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of then in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
In life, we must first learn to crawl, then stand, then walk, then run, and only then, fly. We cannot crawl into flying.-RVM
Tony Montana In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.
We've been watching the numbers go up, then kind of go down, then kind of go back up, that could be having to do with population and mating. As they all peak and mate, they slowly die off, then they start to grow back up again.
Earlier it was enough to have Bockwurst, Wiener or Knacker sausages. Now they are out of fashion. Then came Curry-Wurst with skin or skinless, then came chicken sausage. Then a customer came in and asked for a vegetarian sausage.
You have to be flexible and keep up with the trends to have a successful business, earlier it was enough to have Bockwurst, Wiener or Knacker sausages. Now they are out of fashion. Then came Curry-Wurst with skin or skinless, then came chicken sausage. Then a customer came in and asked for a vegetarian sausage.
Images & Illustrations of then
Translations for then
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- тады, затымBelarusian
- তারপর, তখন, এরপরBengali
- al mateix temps, llavors, després, mentrestantCatalan, Valencian
- pak, potom, tehdyCzech
- bryd hynnyWelsh
- dann, damalig, danach, damals, anschließend, genauso, gleichermaßenGerman
- tiam, tiama, tamenEsperanto
- también, después, entonces, luegoSpanish
- بعد, پس, سپسPersian
- toisaalta, silloin, silloinen, sitten, niinFinnish
- là, cependant, puis, en même temps, alors, auquel casFrench
- i ndiadh sinIrish
- an dèidh sin, an dèidh làimhe, ma-thà, a-rèist, matàScottish Gaelic
- אז, אחר כךHebrew
- तब, फिर, तोHindi
- majd, aztán, akkor, azután, viszont, ugyanakkorHungarian
- ուրեմն, հետոArmenian
- saat ituIndonesian
- allora, poi, allo stesso tempoItalian
- 当時, その後, そのとき, その時点, それから, だから, その時, そして, 次にJapanese
- მაშინ, მერე, კვლავGeorgian
- ដូច្នេះ, ក្រោយមក, ពេលនោះ, កាលនោះ, រួចមក, បន្ទាប់មក, អញ្ចឹងKhmer
- 나중에, 그때, 그 때, 이후, 그러면Korean
- pa, de, hingê, peyre, madem, paşî, dûre, piştre, dûvreKurdish
- tum, deinde, exinde, interim, tuncLatin
- dunnLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- тогаш, потоаMacedonian
- pada masa yang sama, tidak lama kemudian, oleh sebab yang demikian, selepas ituMalay
- dan, trouwens, toen, toenmaligDutch
- dåværandeNorwegian Nynorsk
- deretter, den gang, da, så, siden, i så fallNorwegian
- índaNavajo, Navaho
- wtedy, potem, również, także, wówczas, toPolish
- بياPashto, Pushto
- então, depois, caso, [[naquela]] [[época]], seguidamente, simultaneamente, em seguida, [[naquele]] [[tempo]], entretanto, sequencialmentePortuguese
- atunci, apoiRomanian
- после, тогда, затем, потом, в таком случаеRussian
- potom, posle, затим, онда, потом, тада, после, onda, zatim, tadaSerbo-Croatian
- potom, vtedySlovak
- potém, natóSlovene
- pastaj, atëherëAlbanian
- sedan, å andra sidan, alltså, så, samtidigt, sen, dåvarande, då, dessutom, i så fall, därpåSwedish
- ในตอนนั้น, แล้วก็Thai
- sonra, o zaman, ondan sonraTurkish
- тоді, потімUkrainian
- تب, پھر, توUrdu
- thì, sau đó, khi ấyVietnamese
Get even more translations for then »
Find a translation for the then definition in other languages:
Select another language: