Definitions for thanksgivingˌθæŋksˈgɪv ɪŋ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word thanksgiving
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
the act of giving thanks.
an expression of thanks, esp. to God.
a public celebration in acknowledgment of divine favor.
Ref: Thanksgiving Day.
Origin of thanksgiving:
Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving Day(noun)
fourth Thursday in November in the United States; second Monday in October in Canada; commemorates a feast held in 1621 by the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag
grace, blessing, thanksgiving(noun)
a short prayer of thanks before a meal
"their youngest son said grace"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
a holiday in the U.S. and Canada in which families celebrate with a big dinner
The whole family was together for/at Thanksgiving.
The long weekend which includes Thanksgiving Day, Thanksgiving weekend.
an expression of gratitude.
a short prayer said at meals; grace, a benediction
the act of rending thanks, or expressing gratitude for favors or mercies
a public acknowledgment or celebration of divine goodness; also, a day set apart for religious services, specially to acknowledge the goodness of God, either in any remarkable deliverance from calamities or danger, or in the ordinary dispensation of his bounties
Thanksgiving Day is a national holiday celebrated primarily in the United States and Canada as a day of giving thanks for the blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year. Several other places around the world observe similar celebrations. It is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States and on the second Monday of October in Canada. Thanksgiving has its historical roots in religious and cultural traditions, but has long been celebrated in a more secular manner as well.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. A mass said for the repose of the living. 2. Gratitude in the presence of the death of some one else. 3. The irony of fatality. 4. The instinctive and perpetual atavism of the Will-to-Live. (Thanksgiving-Day in the United States is a national holiday on which all the people who during the past year have survived earthquake, fire, housemaid's knee and death, overeat and thus thank God for His favoritism.)
Translations for thanksgiving
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
(also Thanksgiving Day ) in the United States, a special day (the fourth Thursday in November) for giving thanks to God.
- عيد الشُّكْرArabic
- Ден на благодарносттаBulgarian
- dia de ação de graçasPortuguese (BR)
- Den díkůvzdáníCzech
- das ErntedankfestGerman
- ημέρα των ΕυχαριστιώνGreek
- Día de Acción de GraciasSpanish
- روز شکرگذاریFarsi
- Action de GrâcesFrench
- חַג הַהוֹדָיָהHebrew
- धन्यवाद देनाHindi
- dan zahvalnosti bogu (zadnjičetvrtak u studenom)Croatian
- hálaadó ünnepHungarian
- Pesta SyukurIndonesian
- giorno del RingraziamentoItalian
- 추수 감사절Korean
- Padėkos dienaLithuanian
- Pateicības dienaLatvian
- Hari KesyukuranMalay
- Thanksgiving DayDutch
- Święto DziękczynieniaPolish
- dia de acção de graçasPortuguese
- Ziua RecunoştinţeiRomanian
- День благодаренияRussian
- Deň vďakyvzdaniaSlovak
- zahvalni danSlovenian
- Şükran günüTurkish
- 感恩節Chinese (Trad.)
- День подякиUkrainian
- ادائے شکرUrdu
- ngày lễ Tạ Ơn ChúaVietnamese
- 感恩节Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for thanksgiving »
Find a translation for the thanksgiving definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these thanksgiving definitions with the community:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"thanksgiving." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2014. Web. 28 Jul 2014. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/thanksgiving>.