Definitions for texttɛkst
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word text
text, textual matter(noun)
the words of something written
"there were more than a thousand words of text"; "they handed out the printed text of the mayor's speech"; "he wants to reconstruct the original text"
a passage from the Bible that is used as the subject of a sermon
"the preacher chose a text from Psalms to introduce his sermon"
textbook, text, text edition, schoolbook, school text(noun)
a book prepared for use in schools or colleges
"his economics textbook is in its tenth edition"; "the professor wrote the text that he assigned students to buy"
the main body of a written work (as distinct from illustrations or footnotes etc.)
"pictures made the text easier to understand"
A writing consisting of multiple glyphs, characters, symbols or sentences.
A book, tome or other set of writings.
A brief written message transmitted between mobile phones; an SMS text message.
Data which can be interpreted as human-readable text (often contrasted with binary data).
To send a text message to; i.e. to transmit text using the Short Message Service (SMS), or a similar service, between communications devices, particularly mobile phones.
Just text me when you get here.
To send and receive text messages.
Have you been texting all afternoon?
Origin: From textus, perfect passive participle of texo.
a discourse or composition on which a note or commentary is written; the original words of an author, in distinction from a paraphrase, annotation, or commentary
the four Gospels, by way of distinction or eminence
a verse or passage of Scripture, especially one chosen as the subject of a sermon, or in proof of a doctrine
hence, anything chosen as the subject of an argument, literary composition, or the like; topic; theme
a style of writing in large characters; text-hand also, a kind of type used in printing; as, German text
to write in large characters, as in text hand
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. [techspeak] Executable code, esp. a pure code portion shared between multiple instances of a program running in a multitasking OS. Compare English. 2. Textual material in the mainstream sense; data in ordinary ASCII or EBCDIC representation (see flat-ASCII). “Those are text files; you can review them using the editor.” These two contradictory senses confuse hackers, too.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'text' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1320
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'text' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2767
Rank popularity for the word 'text' in Nouns Frequency: #451
Translations for text
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- teks, SMSAfrikaans
- رسالة إس إم إس, ميسيج, نص, إس إم إس, رسالةArabic
- písnout, textovka, SMS, esemeska, textCzech
- testun, tecstio, neges destunWelsh
- Text, simsen, SMSGerman
- μήνυμα, κείμενοGreek
- SMS, texto, mensaje de texto, textear, mensajeSpanish
- tekstata, tekstiviesti, tekstiFinnish
- texte, textoter, texto, SMSFrench
- teacsaScottish Gaelic
- טקסט, SMSHebrew
- tèksHaitian Creole
- testo, sms, messaggiareItalian
- エス・エム・エス, メッセージ, 記事, 本書, 本文, テキスト, 短信, 伝言Japanese
- TextLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- sms, tekst, sms'enDutch
- náʼníłtąshNavajo, Navaho
- torpedo, texto, mensagemPortuguese
- месседж, текст, эс-эм-эс, эсэмэска, СМС, сообще́ниеRussian
- tekst, штиво, текст, štivoSerbo-Croatian
- sms, smsa, text, messaSwedish
- ข้อความสั้น, ข้อความ, ตำราThai
- bài đọc, văn bảnVietnamese
Get even more translations for text »
Find a translation for the text definition in other languages:
Select another language: