Definitions for texttɛkst
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word text
text, textual matter(noun)
the words of something written
"there were more than a thousand words of text"; "they handed out the printed text of the mayor's speech"; "he wants to reconstruct the original text"
a passage from the Bible that is used as the subject of a sermon
"the preacher chose a text from Psalms to introduce his sermon"
textbook, text, text edition, schoolbook, school text(noun)
a book prepared for use in schools or colleges
"his economics textbook is in its tenth edition"; "the professor wrote the text that he assigned students to buy"
the main body of a written work (as distinct from illustrations or footnotes etc.)
"pictures made the text easier to understand"
A writing consisting of multiple glyphs, characters, symbols or sentences.
A book, tome or other set of writings.
A brief written message transmitted between mobile phones; an SMS text message.
Data which can be interpreted as human-readable text (often contrasted with binary data).
To send a text message to; i.e. to transmit text using the Short Message Service (SMS), or a similar service, between communications devices, particularly mobile phones.
Just text me when you get here.
To send and receive text messages.
Have you been texting all afternoon?
Origin: From textus, perfect passive participle of texo.
a discourse or composition on which a note or commentary is written; the original words of an author, in distinction from a paraphrase, annotation, or commentary
the four Gospels, by way of distinction or eminence
a verse or passage of Scripture, especially one chosen as the subject of a sermon, or in proof of a doctrine
hence, anything chosen as the subject of an argument, literary composition, or the like; topic; theme
a style of writing in large characters; text-hand also, a kind of type used in printing; as, German text
to write in large characters, as in text hand
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. [techspeak] Executable code, esp. a pure code portion shared between multiple instances of a program running in a multitasking OS. Compare English. 2. Textual material in the mainstream sense; data in ordinary ASCII or EBCDIC representation (see flat-ASCII). “Those are text files; you can review them using the editor.” These two contradictory senses confuse hackers, too.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'text' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1320
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'text' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2767
Rank popularity for the word 'text' in Nouns Frequency: #451
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Silence is a text easy to misread.
Text messaging has immense potential in healthcare.
People (already) share cases through text and email.
To read between the lines was easier than to follow the text.
I was not invited, but I'm very happy and I sent a 'Mazel tov' text.
Images & Illustrations of text
Translations for text
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- teks, SMSAfrikaans
- رسالة إس إم إس, ميسيج, نص, إس إم إس, رسالةArabic
- písnout, textovka, SMS, esemeska, textCzech
- testun, tecstio, neges destunWelsh
- Text, simsen, SMSGerman
- μήνυμα, κείμενοGreek
- SMS, texto, mensaje de texto, textear, mensajeSpanish
- tekstata, tekstiviesti, tekstiFinnish
- texte, textoter, texto, SMSFrench
- teacsaScottish Gaelic
- טקסט, SMSHebrew
- tèksHaitian Creole
- testo, sms, messaggiareItalian
- エス・エム・エス, メッセージ, 記事, 本書, 本文, テキスト, 短信, 伝言Japanese
- TextLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- sms, tekst, sms'enDutch
- náʼníłtąshNavajo, Navaho
- torpedo, texto, mensagemPortuguese
- месседж, текст, эс-эм-эс, эсэмэска, СМС, сообще́ниеRussian
- tekst, штиво, текст, štivoSerbo-Croatian
- sms, smsa, text, messaSwedish
- ข้อความสั้น, ข้อความ, ตำราThai
- bài đọc, văn bảnVietnamese
Get even more translations for text »
Find a translation for the text definition in other languages:
Select another language: