Definitions for tensetɛns
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word tense
a grammatical category of verbs used to express distinctions of time
in or of a state of physical or nervous tension
pronounced with relatively tense tongue muscles (e.g., the vowel sound in `beat')
taut or rigid; stretched tight
"tense piano strings"
become stretched or tense or taut
"the bodybuilder's neck muscles tensed;" "the rope strained when the weight was attached"
increase the tension on
"alternately relax and tense your calf muscle"; "tense the rope manually before tensing the spring"
tense, tense up(verb)
become tense, nervous, or uneasy
"He tensed up when he saw his opponent enter the room"
tense, strain, tense up(verb)
cause to be tense and uneasy or nervous or anxious
"he got a phone call from his lawyer that tensed him up"
one of the forms which a verb takes by inflection or by adding auxiliary words, so as to indicate the time of the action or event signified; the modification which verbs undergo for the indication of time
stretched tightly; strained to stiffness; rigid; not lax; as, a tense fiber
The New Hacker's Dictionary
Of programs, very clever and efficient. A tense piece of code often got that way because it was highly tuned, but sometimes it was just based on a great idea. A comment in a clever routine by Mike Kazar, once a grad-student hacker at CMU: “This routine is so tense it will bring tears to your eyes.” A tense programmer is one who produces tense code.
Translations for tense
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- gespanne, styf, tyd, tempusAfrikaans
- صيغة, صيغة الفعلArabic
- temps, tesar, tensCatalan, Valencian
- slovesný čas, napnout, napjatý, časCzech
- Tempus, gespannt, ZeitGerman
- τεντωμένος, τεταμένος, χρόνοςGreek
- tiempo gramatical, tiempo, tensoSpanish
- pingulduma, aeg, ajavorm, pingne, pinguldama, pinev, tempus, pinguletõmmatudEstonian
- jännittynyt, tempus, jännittää, kireä, aikaluokka, aikamuoto, jännittyä, jännitetty, hermostunutFinnish
- tendu, tempsFrench
- tíð, upptrekktur, órólegurIcelandic
- 緊張, 時制Japanese
- напнат, времеMacedonian
- tijd, spannen, opspannen, tempus, gespannen, strakDutch
- tempo, tensionar, tenso, estendidoPortuguese
- тугой, напряжённый, время, натянутыйRussian
- spänd, tempusSwedish
Get even more translations for tense »
Find a translation for the tense definition in other languages:
Select another language: