boring, deadening, dull, ho-hum, irksome, slow, tedious, tiresome, wearisome(adj)
so lacking in interest as to cause mental weariness
"a boring evening with uninteresting people"; "the deadening effect of some routine tasks"; "a dull play"; "his competent but dull performance"; "a ho-hum speaker who couldn't capture their attention"; "what an irksome task the writing of long letters is"- Edmund Burke; "tedious days on the train"; "the tiresome chirping of a cricket"- Mark Twain; "other people's dreams are dreadfully wearisome"
long-winded, tedious, verbose, windy, wordy(adj)
using or containing too many words
"long-winded (or windy) speakers"; "verbose and ineffective instructional methods"; "newspapers of the day printed long wordy editorials"; "proceedings were delayed by wordy disputes"
Boring, monotonous, time consuming, wearisome.
Origin: tedieus, from taediosus, from taedium.
involving tedium; tiresome from continuance, prolixity, slowness, or the like; wearisome
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
tē′di-us, adj. wearisome: tiresome from length or slowness: irksome: slow.—n. Tedios′ity, tediousness.—adv. Tē′diously.—n. Tē′diousness. [L. tædiosus.]
The numerical value of tedious in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of tedious in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality.
Life is as tedious as a twice-told tale Vexing the dull ear of a drowsy man.
If all the year were playing holidays, To sport would be as tedious as to work.
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
We’ve always said that if it gets tedious then we can just stop, but it hasn’t gotten boring yet.
Images & Illustrations of tedious
Translations for tedious
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- tediósCatalan, Valencian
- kedelig, triviel, trættendeDanish
- nervtötend, mühsam, ermüdend, weitschweifig, lästig, langwierig, langweiligGerman
- prolijo, tediosoSpanish
- ikävä, pitkäveteinen, hengetön, tylsäFinnish
- laborieux, fastidieuxFrench
- leadránach, liostaIrish
- liostaScottish Gaelic
- fárasztó, unalmasHungarian
- հոգնեցուցիչ, տաղտկալի, ձանձրալիArmenian
- palloso, fastidioso, soporifero, tedioso, noiosoItalian
- saai, monotoon, langdradigDutch
- kjedelig, ensformig, traurigNorwegian
- żmudny, nudny, nużącyPolish
- monótono, enfadonho, entediantePortuguese
- ну́дный, утоми́тельный, ску́чныйRussian
- tjatig, enformig, långtråkigSwedish
Get even more translations for tedious »
Find a translation for the tedious definition in other languages:
Select another language: