Definitions for taunttɔnt, tɑnt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word taunt
twit, taunt, taunting(verb)
aggravation by deriding or mocking or criticizing
tease, razz, rag, cod, tantalize, tantalise, bait, taunt, twit, rally, ride(verb)
harass with persistent criticism or carping
"The children teased the new teacher"; "Don't ride me so hard over my failure"; "His fellow workers razzed him when he wore a jacket and tie"
A scornful or mocking remark; a jeer or mockery
to make fun of (someone); to goad (a person) into responding, often in an aggressive manner.
very high or tall; as, a ship with taunt masts
to reproach with severe or insulting words; to revile; to upbraid; to jeer at; to flout
upbraiding language; bitter or sarcastic reproach; insulting invective
A taunt is a battle cry, a method in hand-to-hand combat, sarcastic remark, gesture, or insult intended to demoralize the recipient, or to anger them and encourage reactionary behaviors without thinking. Taunting can exist as a form of social competition to gain control of the target's cultural capital. In sociological theory, the control of the three social capitals is used to produce an advantage in the social hierarchy as to enforce one's own position in relation to others. Taunting is committed by either directly, or indirectly encouraging others to taunt the target. The target may give a response in kind to maintain status, as in fighting words and trash-talk. Taunts are also a genre of folklore.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Virtue they will but abuse, and taunt her with bitter revilling.
If you are raped and decide to speak out, everybody in the village would taunt you, that's why most rape victims keep it secret as they don't want to be a laughing stock.
A man's subconscious self is not the ideal companion. It lurks for the greater part of his life in some dark den of its own, hidden away, and emerges only to taunt and deride and increase the misery of a miserable hour.
Images & Illustrations of taunt
Translations for taunt
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- надсмивам се, подигравам сеBulgarian
- Stichelei, Spott, spöttische Bemerkung, verspotten, höhnische Bemerkung, hänseln, Spott treiben mitGerman
- κοροϊδεύω, χλευασμός, κοροϊδία, λοιδορώ, χλευάζω, σαρκάζω, λοιδορία, σαρκασμόςGreek
- mofa, mofarSpanish
- pilkka, pilkataFinnish
- sarcasme, narguer, raillerieFrench
- gúnyolódás, kigúnyolHungarian
- hæða, hæðni, smána, brigsla, smán, brigslIcelandic
- schernire, schernoItalian
- 조롱, 모욕, 모욕하다, 조롱하다Korean
- tāwai, taunuMāori
- schimpscheut, hekelenDutch
- hån, forhånelse, nid, håneNorwegian
- zombaria, zombarPortuguese
- колкость, насмехатьсяRussian
- glåpord, häckla, smäda, gliring, pikaSwedish
- iğnelemek, alay etmek, sataşmak, alayTurkish
Get even more translations for taunt »
Find a translation for the taunt definition in other languages:
Select another language: