twit, taunt, taunting(verb)
aggravation by deriding or mocking or criticizing
tease, razz, rag, cod, tantalize, tantalise, bait, taunt, twit, rally, ride(verb)
harass with persistent criticism or carping
"The children teased the new teacher"; "Don't ride me so hard over my failure"; "His fellow workers razzed him when he wore a jacket and tie"
A scornful or mocking remark; a jeer or mockery
to make fun of (someone); to goad (a person) into responding, often in an aggressive manner.
very high or tall; as, a ship with taunt masts
to reproach with severe or insulting words; to revile; to upbraid; to jeer at; to flout
upbraiding language; bitter or sarcastic reproach; insulting invective
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
tawnt, v.t. to reproach or upbraid with severe or insulting words: to censure sarcastically.—n. upbraiding, sarcastic, or insulting words: a bitter reproach.—n. Taunt′er.—adj. Taunt′ing.—adv. Taunt′ingly. [O. Fr. tanter—L. tentāre, to tempt.]
The numerical value of taunt in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of taunt in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Virtue they will but abuse, and taunt her with bitter revilling.
A vulnerability in an organization's IoT microcosm is a taunt to exploit by malicious hackers.
If you are raped and decide to speak out, everybody in the village would taunt you, that's why most rape victims keep it secret as they don't want to be a laughing stock.
It's been all about pressure and brinksmanship and military tools and tactics and( chest-thumping), and now to literally, directly taunt the leader of North Korea is like poking the hornet's nest yet again.
A man's subconscious self is not the ideal companion. It lurks for the greater part of his life in some dark den of its own, hidden away, and emerges only to taunt and deride and increase the misery of a miserable hour.
Images & Illustrations of taunt
Translations for taunt
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- надсмивам се, подигравам сеBulgarian
- Stichelei, Spott, spöttische Bemerkung, verspotten, höhnische Bemerkung, hänseln, Spott treiben mitGerman
- κοροϊδεύω, χλευασμός, κοροϊδία, λοιδορώ, χλευάζω, σαρκάζω, λοιδορία, σαρκασμόςGreek
- mofa, mofarSpanish
- pilkka, pilkataFinnish
- sarcasme, narguer, raillerieFrench
- gúnyolódás, kigúnyolHungarian
- hæða, hæðni, smána, brigsla, smán, brigslIcelandic
- schernire, schernoItalian
- 조롱, 모욕, 모욕하다, 조롱하다Korean
- tāwai, taunuMāori
- schimpscheut, hekelenDutch
- hån, forhånelse, nid, håneNorwegian
- zombaria, zombarPortuguese
- колкость, насмехатьсяRussian
- glåpord, häckla, smäda, gliring, pikaSwedish
- iğnelemek, alay etmek, sataşmak, alayTurkish
Get even more translations for taunt »
Find a translation for the taunt definition in other languages:
Select another language: