large inoffensive chiefly nocturnal ungulate of tropical America and southeast Asia having a heavy body and fleshy snout
Any one of several species of large odd-toed ungulates of the taxonomic family Tapiridae with a long prehensile upper lip.
Origin: tapir, from tapira.
any one of several species of large odd-toed ungulates belonging to Tapirus, Elasmognathus, and allied genera. They have a long prehensile upper lip, short ears, short and stout legs, a short, thick tail, and short, close hair. They have three toes on the hind feet, and four toes on the fore feet, but the outermost toe is of little use
A tapir is a large browsing mammal, similar in shape to a pig, with a short, prehensile snout. Tapirs inhabit jungle and forest regions of South America, Central America, and Southeast Asia. The four species of tapirs are: the Brazilian tapir, the Malayan tapir, Baird's tapir and the mountain tapir. All four are classified as endangered or vulnerable. Their closest relatives are the other odd-toed ungulates, including horses and rhinoceroses.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
tā′pir, n. a genus of Ungulata, of the section Perissodactyla, thick-skinned, short-necked, with a short flexible proboscis, found in South America.—adjs. Tapir′odont, having teeth like the tapir; Tap′iroid, related to the tapirs. [Braz.]
The numerical value of tapir in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of tapir in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Images & Illustrations of tapir
Translations for tapir
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- virtapiro, tapiriĉo, virtapirido, tapiro, tapirino, tapirido, tapiridiĉo, tapiridinoEsperanto
- tapir, danta, danto, sachavaca, anta, anteburroSpanish
- tapirulo, tapirino, tapiryunulo, tapiryunino, tapiro, tapiryunoIdo
- badak babi, kuda air, kipan, badak tampung, tapir, badak murai, tenuk, cipan, senukMalay
- bíchį́į́h naatsʼǫǫdíNavajo, Navaho
- тапири, tapiriSerbo-Croatian
- tapir, tapirül, hitapirül, hitapir, jitapir, jitapirülVolapük
Get even more translations for tapir »
Find a translation for the tapir definition in other languages:
Select another language: