leery, mistrustful, suspicious, untrusting, wary(adj)
openly distrustful and unwilling to confide
fishy, funny, shady, suspect, suspicious(adj)
not as expected
"there was something fishy about the accident"; "up to some funny business"; "some definitely queer goings-on"; "a shady deal"; "her motives were suspect"; "suspicious behavior"
His suspicious behaviour brought him to the attention of the police.
distrustful or tending to suspect.
I have a suspicious attitude to get-rich-quick schemes.
She gave me a suspicious look.
inclined to suspect; given or prone to suspicion; apt to imagine without proof
indicating suspicion, mistrust, or fear
liable to suspicion; adapted to raise suspicion; giving reason to imagine ill; questionable; as, an author of suspicious innovations; suspicious circumstances
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'suspicious' in Adjectives Frequency: #813
The numerical value of suspicious in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of suspicious in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I was suspicious of all of the people around me.
A suspicious mind always looks on the black side of things.
Ours is the age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of men who try to.
A building in the middle of the city burning at 1 o'clock in the morning is suspicious.
I had my ID on me so it didn’t escalate, but what’s suspicious about a jogger? In jogging clothes?
Images & Illustrations of suspicious
Translations for suspicious
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- suspicaç, sospitósCatalan, Valencian
- podezřívavý, podezíravý, podezřelýCzech
- misstrauisch, verdächtigGerman
- suspicaz, sospechoso, desconfiadoSpanish
- epäilyttävä, epäluuloinen, epäileväFinnish
- avec méfiance, suspectFrench
- amharasachScottish Gaelic
- curiga, mencurigakanIndonesian
- ambiguo, diffidente, losco, sospettosoItalian
- 怪しい, 怪しむよう, 不審, 疑いのJapanese
- hihira, tūpato, matakanaMāori
- сомничав, сомнителенMacedonian
- desconfiado, suspeitoPortuguese
- dubios, suspicios, suspectRomanian
Get even more translations for suspicious »
Find a translation for the suspicious definition in other languages:
Select another language: