Definitions for subtletyˈsʌt l ti
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word subtlety
nuance, nicety, shade, subtlety, refinement(noun)
a subtle difference in meaning or opinion or attitude
"without understanding the finer nuances you can't enjoy the humor"; "don't argue about shades of meaning"
the quality of being difficult to detect or analyze
"you had to admire the subtlety of the distinctions he drew"
The quality or fact of being subtle.
With all his usual subtlety, he quietly fixed the problem before anyone else noticed it.
An instance of being subtle, a subtle thing, especially a subtle argument or distinction.
The subtleties of this overture are often overlooked.
An ornate medieval illusion dish or table decoration, especially when made from one thing but crafted to look like another.
At the king's coronation feast, several subtleties were served between main courses.
Origin: From sutilté, from subtilitas, from subtilis.
the quality or state of being subtle, or sly; cunning; craftiness; artfulness
nice discernment with delicacy of mental action; nicety of discrimination
something that is sly, crafty, or delusive
Translations for subtlety
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- subtilesaCatalan, Valencian
- Subtilität, Feinsinnigkeit, Scharfsinnigkeit, Zartheit, Feinsinn, Raffinesse, Feinheit, Raffiniertheit, Geschicklichkeit, ScharfsinnGerman
- sutileza, delicadezaSpanish
- subtilité, entremetsFrench
- delikatność, subtelnośćPolish
- subtilitet, finessSwedish
- zekilik, kurnazlık, incelik, anlaşılmazlık, ustalıkTurkish
Get even more translations for subtlety »
Find a translation for the subtlety definition in other languages:
Select another language: