Definitions for suaveswɑv
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word suave
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
smoothly agreeable or polite; agreeably or blandly urbane.
Origin of suave:
1495–1505; < F < L suāvissweet
debonair, debonaire, debonnaire, suave(adj)
having a sophisticated charm
"a debonair gentleman"
politic, smooth, suave, bland(adj)
smoothly agreeable and courteous with a degree of sophistication
"he was too politic to quarrel with so important a personage"; "the manager pacified the customer with a smooth apology for the error"
Charming, confident and elegant.
Origin: From suavis.
sweet; pleasant; delightful; gracious or agreeable in manner; bland
Suave is a brand name based in Chicago, IL used by the Unilever company in the United States, Argentina, Mexico and Canada. Targeting discount stores, the brand represents more than 100 products including shampoo, lotions, soaps and deodorant. Suave started in the United States in 1937 as a hair tonic. The brand eventually was acquired by Helene Curtis Industries, Inc. which, in the 1970s, started expanding the Suave name beyond hair care into other areas. Noting the rise of discount stores such as Wal-Mart, in the 1990s Unilever instituted a broad strategy, called "The Power of Value" to use its Suave brand to sell a line of discount personal care products in contrast to its high-profile brands such as Helene Curtis, Calvin Klein and Salon Selectives lines. Sales of the Suave line of products grew from $500 million in 1995 to about $900 million in 2002.
Translations for suave
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
(of a man or his manner) pleasant, elegant, polite and agreeable.
- elegant, vriendelikAfrikaans
- رَقيق، لَطيف، دَمِثArabic
- sofisticadoPortuguese (BR)
- αβρός, εκλεπτυσμένοςGreek
- afable, cortés; fino; zalameroSpanish
- sundimatu, meeldivEstonian
- خوش برخورد؛ مودبFarsi
- נָעִים הֲלִיכוֹתHebrew
- सभ्य, भद्र, विनीत, सुन्दर मनोहर, चिकना-चुपड़ा, मृदुHindi
- ugodan, ljubazanCroatian
- fágaður, viðmótsþÿðurIcelandic
- (매너가) 온화한, 상냥한Korean
- lipšnus, malonus, mandagusLithuanian
- laipns; patīkams; pieklājīgsLatvian
- terlalu canggihMalay
- elegant, urbanNorwegian
- uprzejmy, gładkiPolish
- خوش برخورد؛ مودبPersian
- مودب، ښه برخوردکوونکیPashto
- afabil, amabil, politicosRomanian
- uhladený, prívetivýSlovak
- prijeten, uglajenSlovenian
- förbindlig, behagligSwedish
- hoş, tatlı dilli, kibar ve nazikTurkish
- 文雅的，溫和的Chinese (Trad.)
- ввічливий, поштивийUkrainian
- نرم، شاءستہUrdu
- ngọt ngào, khéo léoVietnamese
- 文雅的，温和的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for suave »
Find a translation for the suave definition in other languages:
Select another language: