student, pupil, educatee(noun)
a learner who is enrolled in an educational institution
scholar, scholarly person, bookman, student(noun)
a learned person (especially in the humanities); someone who by long study has gained mastery in one or more disciplines
A person who studies a particular academic subject
A student of philosophy.
A person seriously devoted to some subject, whether academic or not
He is a student of life.
A person enrolled at a university
The students were out raising funds for rag week.
Origin: From studens, present participle of studere
a person engaged in study; one who is devoted to learning; a learner; a pupil; a scholar; especially, one who attends a school, or who seeks knowledge from professional teachers or from books; as, the students of an academy, a college, or a university; a medical student; a hard student
one who studies or examines in any manner; an attentive and systematic observer; as, a student of human nature, or of physical nature
Origin: [L. studens, -entis, p. pr. of studere to study. See Study, n.]
A student is a learner, or someone who attends an educational institution. In some nations, the English term is reserved for those who attend university, while a schoolchild under the age of eighteen is called a pupil in English, although in the United States a person enrolled in grades K–12 is often called a student. In its widest use, student is used for anyone who is learning, including mid-career adults who are taking vocational education or returning to university.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
stū′dent, n. one who studies, a scholar at a higher school, college, or university: one devoted to the study of any subject: a man devoted to books.—ns. Stū′dentry, students collectively; Stū′dentship, an endowment for a student in a college.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'student' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1333
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'student' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2399
Rank popularity for the word 'student' in Nouns Frequency: #148
The numerical value of student in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of student in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student.
If you are a student, try to be a teacher; if you are a teacher, try to be a student!
Live like a student while you are in school, so you don't have to live like a student after you graduate.
If total student loan debt at graduation is less than the annual starting salary, the borrower will be able to repay his or her student loans in ten years or less.
Whether a student is being patriotic or engaging in religious speech, there is no law in this country forbidding a student from telling his or her classmates, ‘God bless America’ and it is illegal for a school to censor a student for doing so.
Images & Illustrations of student
Translations for student
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- تلميذ, طالب, تلميذة, طالبةArabic
- студэ́нтка, студэ́нтBelarusian
- студентка, студентBulgarian
- estudiantCatalan, Valencian
- student, studentkaCzech
- Student, Hochschülerin, Studierende, Hochschüler, Studentin, StudierenderGerman
- σπουδαστής, σπουδάστρια, φοιτήτρια, μελετητής, φοιτητήςGreek
- gestudantoj, studento, gestudentoj, studentino, studantino, studanto, virstudento, virstudantoEsperanto
- alumno, alumna, estudianteSpanish
- üliõpilane, õppija, tudeng, õpilaneEstonian
- tutkija, opiskelija, ylioppilasFinnish
- étudiant, étudiante, élèveFrench
- mac léinnIrish
- oileanachScottish Gaelic
- विद्यार्थी, छात्र, विद्यार्थिHindi
- tanuló, hallgató, diákHungarian
- mahasiswi, siswa, murid, siswi, pelajar, mahasiswaIndonesian
- studente, studentessa, studioso, alunnoItalian
- កូនសិស្ស, និស្សិតKhmer
- 學生, 학생Korean
- تهلهبه, قوتابیKurdish
- discipula, studens, discipulum, discens, discipulus, StudentLatin
- വിദ്യാര്ത്ഥി, വിദ്യാര്ത്ഥിനിMalayalam
- murid, pelajarMalay
- ကျောင်းသား, ကျောင်းသူBurmese
- studente, studentDutch
- ółtaʼíNavajo, Navaho
- ଛାତ୍ର, ଚାଟOriya
- student, studentkaPolish
- estudioso, académico, estudantePortuguese
- student, studenta, studentessaRomansh
- studentă, studentRomanian
- студент, учащаяся, учащийся, студенткаRussian
- शिष्य, छात्रSanskrit
- студент, studentSerbo-Croatian
- ශිෂ්යයාSinhala, Sinhalese
- studentska, student, elevSwedish
- mwanagenzi, mwanachuo, mwanafunziSwahili
- talyp, student, okuwçyTurkmen
- mag-aaral, estudyanteTagalog
- студентка, студентUkrainian
- چھاتر, طالِب عِلم, طالب علمUrdu
- talaba, studentUzbek
- 學生, chăm chỉ, sinh viên, học sinh, 生員Vietnamese
- jistudan, jistudanef, studanef, studan, histudanef, histudanVolapük
- סטודענט, תּלמידYiddish
Get even more translations for student »
Find a translation for the student definition in other languages:
Select another language: