Definitions for stapleˈsteɪ pəl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word staple
(usually plural) a necessary commodity for which demand is constant
staple, staple fiber, staple fibre(noun)
a natural fiber (raw cotton, wool, hemp, flax) that can be twisted to form yarn
"staple fibers vary widely in length"
raw material, staple(noun)
material suitable for manufacture or use or finishing
a short U-shaped wire nail for securing cables
paper fastener consisting of a short length of U-shaped wire that can fasten papers together
necessary or important, especially regarding food or commodities
"wheat is a staple crop"
secure or fasten with a staple or staples
"staple the papers together"
To fasten together with a staple or staples; as, to staple a check to a letter.
a settled mart; an emporium; a city or town to which merchants brought commodities for sale or exportation in bulk; a place for wholesale traffic
hence: Place of supply; source; fountain head
the principal commodity of traffic in a market; a principal commodity or production of a country or district; as, wheat, maize, and cotton are great staples of the United States
the principal constituent in anything; chief item
unmanufactured material; raw material
the fiber of wool, cotton, flax, or the like; as, a coarse staple; a fine staple; a long or short staple
a loop of iron, or a bar or wire, bent and formed with two points to be driven into wood, to hold a hook, pin, or the like
a shaft, smaller and shorter than the principal one, joining different levels
a small pit
a district granted to an abbey
pertaining to, or being market of staple for, commodities; as, a staple town
established in commerce; occupying the markets; settled; as, a staple trade
fit to be sold; marketable
regularly produced or manufactured in large quantities; belonging to wholesale traffic; principal; chief
to sort according to its staple; as, to staple cotton
Origin: [AS. stapul, stapol, stapel, a step, a prop, post, table, fr. stapan to step, go, raise; akin to D. stapel a pile, stocks, emporium, G. stapela heap, mart, stake, staffel step of a ladder, Sw. stapel, Dan. stabel, and E. step; cf. OF. estaple a mart, F. tape. See Step.]
A staple is a type of two-pronged fastener, usually metal, used for joining or binding materials together. Large staples might be used with a hammer or staple gun for masonry, roofing, corrugated boxes and other heavy-duty uses. Smaller staples are used with a stapler to attach pieces of paper together; such staples are a permanent and durable fastener for paper documents, unlike the paper clip.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
He draweth out the thread of his verbosity finer than the staple of his argument.
Corn is just one plant, but in the Andes it was really important as a dietary staple, [and] also a ritual product.
A lot of people in south and east Africa will have to move away from maize, which is the main staple at the moment.
Maize is one of our staple foods which our people depend upon so our department would approach other funding agencies.
Mexico has been very conscious of food inflation and, of course, with chicken and turkey and eggs being a basic staple, they don't want to see food prices spiral.
Translations for staple
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- Grundnahrungsmittel, Ausgangsmaterial, Heftklammer, GrundversorgungGerman
- συνδετήρας, συρράβωGreek
- engrapar, alimento de primera necesidad, materia prima, corchete, esencialidad, grapa, grapar, producto principal, alimento básicoSpanish
- aspi, niitti, nitoa, peruselintarvike, askelma, perustarvike, nitomanastaFinnish
- agrafe, agraferFrench
- amhábhar, príomh-amhábharIrish
- lhoob yiarnManx
- kapocs, fémkapocs, tűzőkapocsHungarian
- uppistöðumatur, hefti, hefta, uppistöðuefni, kengur, grunnvara, hráefni, vírhefti, nauðsynjar, baðmullarþræðir, nauðsynjavörur, aðalframleiðsluvara, uppistaða, aðalverslunarvara, hörtrefjar, ullarþræðirIcelandic
- pinzare, prodotto principale, risorsa, materia prima, prodotto, graffetta, alimento base, prodotto di baseItalian
- tēpara, makatitiMāori
- nieten, basisvoedsel, niet, basisbenodigdheid, haakDutch
- krampeNorwegian Nynorsk
- zszyć, klamra, podstawowy artykuł, zszywka, podstawowe pożywienie, stapelPolish
- grampo, grampear, agrafarPortuguese
- основной продукт питания, скрепка, скреплятьRussian
- stapelvara, häftklammer, klammer, krampaSwedish
- tel zımba, esas, temel besin, başlıca, temel gıdaTurkish
Get even more translations for staple »
Find a translation for the staple definition in other languages:
Select another language: