Definitions for soap operaˈɒp ər ə, ˈɒp rə
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word soap opera
a serialized program usually dealing with sentimentalized family matters that is broadcast on radio or television (frequently sponsored by a company advertising soap products)
A radio or television serial, typically broadcast in the afternoon or evening, about the lives of melodramatic characters, which are often filled with strong emotions, highly dramatic situations and suspense.
Origin: From soap + opera: soap from the soap and detergent commercials originally broadcast during the shows, which were aimed at women who were cleaning their house at the time of viewing; opera from the melodramatic character of the shows.
A soap opera, often referred to simply as a soap, is an ongoing, episodic work of usually dramatic genre, that is fictionally presented in serial format on radio or as television programming. The name soap opera stems from the original dramatic serials' broadcast on radio that had soap manufacturers, such as Dial Corporation, Procter & Gamble, Colgate-Palmolive and Lever Brothers, as sponsors and producers.
The numerical value of soap opera in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of soap opera in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
This is not a soap opera of personalities, i'm not interested in playing that game.
It's been a real soap opera for the markets about whether the Fed is going to move or aren't they going to move.
But what do they amount to? It is confined and contained to a soap opera-like exchange that never leads to anything of consequence.
Politics in a democratic society should not be treated like a baseball game, a game show or a soap opera. The times are too serious for that.
The success of South Korean brands has a lot to do with Chinese consumers copying the style of South Korean soap opera and music stars, they'll even go so far as to get the particular products being used by these stars. The stores will try to get in the exact shades that South Korean actresses are using.
Images & Illustrations of soap opera
Translations for soap opera
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مسلسلات تلفزيونية, مسلسلات, تمثيلية, أوبرا الصابونArabic
- fulletó, culebrot, telenovel·laCatalan, Valencian
- mýdlová operaCzech
- Seifenoper, soapGerman
- telenovela, culebrónSpanish
- سریال عامهپسند، اپرای صابون، اپرای صابونی، نمایش صابونیPersian
- saippuaooppera, saippuasarjaFinnish
- feuilleton, soap, téléroman, soap operaFrench
- sobalchlár, sobaldrámaIrish
- siabannScottish Gaelic
- אופרת סבוןHebrew
- 昼メロ, 昼ドラマ, ドラマ, 昼ドラ, ソープオペラ, シリーズJapanese
- 드라마, 시리즈, 연속극Korean
- SeefenoperLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- са́пунска о́пера, сапу́ницаMacedonian
- soapserie, soap, soapreeksDutch
- táláwosh binahjįʼ njilkidNavajo, Navaho
- telenowela, opera mydlanaPolish
- telenovela, novelaPortuguese
- телесериал, сериа́л, мы́льная о́пераRussian
- såpopera, såpaSwedish
- pembe diziTurkish
- телесеріа́л, серіа́л, ми́льна о́пераUkrainian
Get even more translations for soap opera »
Find a translation for the soap opera definition in other languages:
Select another language: