Definitions for skyline
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
or sky′ line`
the boundary line between earth and sky; apparent horizon.
the outline of something, as the buildings of a city, against the sky.
Origin of skyline:
the outline of objects seen against the sky
horizon, apparent horizon, visible horizon, sensible horizon, skyline(noun)
the line at which the sky and Earth appear to meet
The line at which the earth and sky meet, horizon.
The horizontal silhouette of a city or building against the sky.
To outline something against the sky.
A skyline is the overall or partial view of a city's buildings and structures against the sky. It can also be described as the artificial horizon that a city's overall structure creates. Skylines serve as a kind of fingerprint of a city, as no two skylines are alike. For this reason news and sports programs, television shows, and movies often display the skyline of a city to set location. The Sky Line of New York City was a new term in 1896, when it was the title of a color lithograph by Charles Graham for the color supplement of the New-York Journal. Paul D. Spreiregen, FAIA, has called a skyline "a physical representation [of a city's] facts of life ... a potential work of art ... its collective vista."
Translations for skyline
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
the outline of buildings, hills etc seen against the sky
the New York skyline; I could see something moving on the skyline.
- خَط الأُفُقArabic
- horizontePortuguese (BR)
- obrys (na obzoru)Czech
- die Silhouette, der HorizontGerman
- kontur; horisontDanish
- γραμμή του ορίζονταGreek
- (millegi) siluett taevavõlvilEstonian
- خط افقFarsi
- profil (de l'horizon)French
- קַו רָקִיעHebrew
- क्षितिज, रूपरेखाHindi
- horizont, obzorCroatian
- (távlati) várossziluettHungarian
- profil cakrawalaIndonesian
- útlínur bygginga/trjáa/fjalla þar sem þau ber við himinnIcelandic
- (sagoma della città); orizzonteItalian
- (건물 산등의) 하늘을 배경으로 한 윤곽, 스카이라인Korean
- panorama, kontūraiLithuanian
- panorāma; kontūra; siluets (pret debesīm)Latvian
- latar langitMalay
- silhouet, horizonDutch
- omriss (mot himmelen)Norwegian
- kontur, sylwetka na tle niebaPolish
- خط افقPersian
- داسمان لمن (افق)، داسمان مورګه،داسمان څنډهPashto
- linia orizontuluiRomanian
- силуэт; горизонтRussian
- horizont, obzor, siluetaSlovak
- obris na obzorjuSlovenian
- horisont, himlarand, silhuett, skylineSwedish
- kent siluetiTurkish
- (以天空為背景建築物和山丘等的)天際線Chinese (Trad.)
- обрій, горизонтUkrainian
- آسمان کے مقابل عمارتوں کے باہری ڈھانچے سے ابھرنے والا نقشUrdu
- hình dáng in lên nền trờiVietnamese
- （以天空为背景的）轮廓线Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for skyline »
Find a translation for the skyline definition in other languages:
Select another language: