Definitions for shut up
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word shut up
pent, shut up(p)(verb)
close up, clam up, dummy up, shut up, belt up, button up, be quiet, keep mum(verb)
refuse to talk or stop talking; fall silent
"The children shut up when their father approached"
lock in, lock away, lock, put away, shut up, shut away, lock up(verb)
place in a place where something cannot be removed or someone cannot escape
"The parents locked her daughter up for the weekend"; "She locked her jewels in the safe"
hush, quieten, silence, still, shut up, hush up(verb)
cause to be quiet or not talk
"Please silence the children in the church!"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
to stop talking or making noise, or make sb stop
Just shut up for a minute!; She told them the news to shut them all up.
To close (a building) so that no one can enter.
To terminate (a business).
To enclose (a person, animal or thing) in a room or other place so that it cannot leave.
To put (an object) in a secure enclosed place.
Of a person, to stop talking or (of a person or thing) making noise.
I don't believe it!, no way!
"Shut Up!" is the second single taken from Simple Plan's second studio album, Still Not Getting Any.... It is more of an "in your face" track, as the band are telling music critics, who generally deride the band as commercialized drivel, to just 'shut up!'. It could also be seen as a track where the speaker is telling his girlfriend to "shut up". Simple Plan performed this song on the 2005 Kids' Choice Awards, as a way to promote the album.
Translations for shut up
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
to (cause to) stop speaking
Tell them to shut up!; That'll shut him up!
- ophou praatAfrikaans
- يَتَوَقَّف عن الكَلام، يُقْفِل فَمَهArabic
- calar-sePortuguese (BR)
- den Mund halten/stopfenGerman
- hold mund; få til at tie stilleDanish
- σωπαίνω, το βουλώνω, βουλώνω το στόμα κπ.Greek
- callarse, hacer callarSpanish
- vait jääma, suu kinni!Estonian
- ساكت شدنFarsi
- sulkea suuFinnish
- (faire) taireFrench
- चुप करनाHindi
- začepiti (usta), zavezatiCroatian
- (menyuruh) berhenti bicaraIndonesian
- þagna; þagga niður í e-m; haltu kjafti!Icelandic
- tacere, far tacereItalian
- apklust; apklusinātLatvian
- (doen) zwijgenDutch
- holde kjeft/munnNorwegian
- zamykać sięPolish
- ساكت شدنPersian
- ساکت شولPashto
- a face să tacăRomanian
- (заставить) замолчатьRussian
- utihniti; utišatiSlovenian
- [få att] hålla tystSwedish
- konuşmamak, susmak, çenesini kapatmakTurkish
- (使某人)住嘴Chinese (Trad.)
- خاموش ہونا یا کرناUrdu
- câm, im mồmVietnamese
- 安静，住口Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for shut up »
Find a translation for the shut up definition in other languages:
Select another language: