Definitions for shrugʃrʌg
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word shrug
a gesture involving the shoulders
raise one's shoulders to indicate indifference or resignation
A lifting of the shoulders to signal indifference.
He dismissed my comment with a shrug.
To raise the shoulders to express a lack of knowledge or certainty.
I asked him for an answer and he just shrugged.
To raise the shoulders to express a lack of concern or worry.
When he saw the problem, he just shrugged and started fixing it.
to draw up or contract (the shoulders), especially by way of expressing dislike, dread, doubt, or the like
to raise or draw up the shoulders, as in expressing dislike, dread, doubt, or the like
a drawing up of the shoulders, -- a motion usually expressing dislike, dread, or doubt
A shrug is a gesture that is performed by lifting both shoulders up, and is an indication of an individual either not knowing an answer to a question, or not caring about a result. It can also be used when someone is simply ignoring the person's question. It may be accentuated with raised eyebrows and/or an exaggerated frown. It is very common in Western culture, rather than saying "I don't know", they would simply perform a shrug. In the English-speaking world it may be accompanied by a three syllable grunt or hummed mumble mimicking the intonation of "I dunno". The shrug is relatively absent from Eastern culture. The gesture may be accompanied by raised palms.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'shrug' in Verbs Frequency: #591
Translations for shrug
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- encongiment d'espatllesCatalan, Valencian
- pokrčit ramenyCzech
- skuldertræk, trække på skuldreneDanish
- Schulterzucken, mit den Schultern zucken, mit den Achseln zucken, AchselzuckenGerman
- encogimiento de hombros, encogerse de hombrosSpanish
- olankohautus, kohauttaaFinnish
- haussement d'épaules, hausser les épaulesFrench
- crathadh, crathScottish Gaelic
- stringere le spalle, scrollareItalian
- 肩を窄める, 肩を竦めるJapanese
- wzruszyć ramionamiPolish
- encolhida de ombros, dar de ombros, encolher os ombrosPortuguese
- пожимание плечами, пожать плечами, пожимать плечамиRussian
- слијегање раменима, slijeganje ramenima, slegnuti ramenima, слегнути раменимаSerbo-Croatian
- rycka på axlarna, axelryckningSwedish
Get even more translations for shrug »
Find a translation for the shrug definition in other languages:
Select another language: