Definitions for shrineʃraɪn
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word shrine
a place of worship hallowed by association with some sacred thing or person
enclose in a shrine
"the saint's bones were enshrined in the cathedral"
A holy or sacred place, which is dedicated to a specific deity, ancestor, hero, martyr, saint, or similar figure of awe and respect, at which said figure is venerated or worshipped.
To enshrine; to place reverently, as if in a shrine.
Shrined in his sanctuary. uE000116766uE001 Milton.
Origin: shryne, from scrīn “reliquary, ark of the covenant”, from scrinium “case or chest for books or papers”. Of unknown origin. Compare Old Norse skrin, Old High German skrini
a case, box, or receptacle, especially one in which are deposited sacred relics, as the bones of a saint
any sacred place, as an altar, tromb, or the like
a place or object hallowed from its history or associations; as, a shrine of art
to enshrine; to place reverently, as in a shrine
A shrine is a holy or sacred place, which is dedicated to a specific deity, ancestor, hero, martyr, saint, daemon or similar figure of awe and respect, at which they are venerated or worshipped. Shrines often contain idols, relics, or other such objects associated with the figure being venerated. A shrine at which votive offerings are made is called an altar. Shrines are found in many of the world's religions, including Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Wicca, Chinese folk religion and Shinto, as well as in secular and non-religious settings such as a war memorial. Shrines can be found in various settings, such as churches, temples, cemeteries, or in the home, although portable shrines are also found in some cultures. A shrine may become a focus of a cult image.
Translations for shrine
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ра́ка, храм, святы́няBelarusian
- λάρνακα, ιερόGreek
- pyhäkkö, pyhättö, alttariFinnish
- sanctuaire, châsse, lieu saintFrench
- दरगाह, मन्दिरHindi
- kegyhely, búcsújáróhelyHungarian
- reliquiario, santuario, edicolaItalian
- 聖地, 神社, 聖堂Japanese
- ტაძარი, აკლდამა, საკურთხეველიGeorgian
- 성당, 신사Korean
- aedicula, delubrum, sacellum, aedisLatin
- helgenskrin, skrinNorwegian
- świątynia, [[miejsce#PolishPolish
- santuário, relicárioPortuguese
- рака, святыня, храмRussian
- светиштe, svetinja, светиња, svetište, škrinja, шкриња, hram, храмSerbo-Croatian
- mecka, helgedom, vallfärdsplatsSwedish
- türbe, mabetTurkish
- храм, святи́ня, ра́каUkrainian
Get even more translations for shrine »
Find a translation for the shrine definition in other languages:
Select another language: