Definitions for showʃoʊ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word show
the act of publicly exhibiting or entertaining
"a remarkable show of skill"
something intended to communicate a particular impression
"made a display of strength"; "a show of impatience"; "a good show of looking interested"
a social event involving a public performance or entertainment
"they wanted to see some of the shows on Broadway"
pretending that something is the case in order to make a good impression
"they try to keep up appearances"; "that ceremony is just for show"
show, demo, exhibit, present, demonstrate(verb)
give an exhibition of to an interested audience
"She shows her dogs frequently"; "We will demo the new software in Washington"
prove, demonstrate, establish, show, shew(verb)
establish the validity of something, as by an example, explanation or experiment
"The experiment demonstrated the instability of the compound"; "The mathematician showed the validity of the conjecture"
testify, bear witness, prove, evidence, show(verb)
provide evidence for
"The blood test showed that he was the father"; "Her behavior testified to her incompetence"
make visible or noticeable
"She showed her talent for cooking"; "Show me your etchings, please"
picture, depict, render, show(verb)
show in, or as in, a picture
"This scene depicts country life"; "the face of the child is rendered with much tenderness in this painting"
express, show, evince(verb)
give expression to
"She showed her disappointment"
indicate, point, designate, show(verb)
indicate a place, direction, person, or thing; either spatially or figuratively
"I showed the customer the glove section"; "He pointed to the empty parking space"; "he indicated his opponents"
show, show up(verb)
be or become visible or noticeable
"His good upbringing really shows"; "The dirty side will show"
read, register, show, record(verb)
indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments
"The thermometer showed thirteen degrees below zero"; "The gauge read `empty'"
give evidence of, as of records
"The diary shows his distress that evening"
take (someone) to their seats, as in theaters or auditoriums
"The usher showed us to our seats"
finish third or better in a horse or dog race
"he bet $2 on number six to show"
A play, dance, or other entertainment.
An exhibition of items.
show of force
A broadcast program/programme.
Let's catch a show.
Mere display with no substance
The dog sounds ferocious but it's all show.
A project or presentation.
The major leagues.
He played AA ball for years, but never made it to the show.
To display, to have somebody see (something).
To indicate (a fact) to be true; to demonstrate.
To guide or escort.
Could you please show him on his way. He has overstayed his welcome.
To be visible, to be seen.
Your bald patch is starting to show.
To put in an appearance; show up.
We waited for an hour, but they never showed.
To have an enlarged belly and thus be recognizable as pregnant.
To finish third, especially of horses or dogs.
In the third race: Aces up won, paying eight dollars; Blarney Stone placed, paying three dollars; and Cinnamon showed, paying five dollars.
to exhibit or present to view; to place in sight; to display; -- the thing exhibited being the object, and often with an indirect object denoting the person or thing seeing or beholding; as, to show a house; show your colors; shopkeepers show customers goods (show goods to customers)
to exhibit to the mental view; to tell; to disclose; to reveal; to make known; as, to show one's designs
specifically, to make known the way to (a person); hence, to direct; to guide; to asher; to conduct; as, to show a person into a parlor; to show one to the door
to make apparent or clear, as by evidence, testimony, or reasoning; to prove; to explain; also, to manifest; to evince; as, to show the truth of a statement; to show the causes of an event
to bestow; to confer; to afford; as, to show favor
to exhibit or manifest one's self or itself; to appear; to look; to be in appearance; to seem
to have a certain appearance, as well or ill, fit or unfit; to become or suit; to appear
the act of showing, or bringing to view; exposure to sight; exhibition
that which os shown, or brought to view; that which is arranged to be seen; a spectacle; an exhibition; as, a traveling show; a cattle show
proud or ostentatious display; parade; pomp
semblance; likeness; appearance
false semblance; deceitful appearance; pretense
a discharge, from the vagina, of mucus streaked with blood, occuring a short time before labor
a pale blue flame, at the top of a candle flame, indicating the presence of fire damp
Origin: [Written also shew.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'show' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #547
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'show' in Written Corpus Frequency: #517
Rank popularity for the word 'show' in Nouns Frequency: #416
Rank popularity for the word 'show' in Verbs Frequency: #36
Images & Illustrations of show
Translations for show
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عرض, معرض, اظهار, استعراض, برنامج, وضح, ظهر, ثبت, قدم, عرArabic
- пака́зваць, паказа́цьBelarusian
- пока́звам, пока́жаBulgarian
- espectacle, ensenyar, demostrar, mostrarCatalan, Valencian
- pořad, ukázka, přehlídka, předvedení, výstava, podívaná, ukázat, ukazovatCzech
- Schau, Demonstration, Show, zeigenGerman
- επίδειξη, σόου, εκπομπή, έκθεση, θέαμα, δείχνω, εμφανίζω, φαίνομαι, αποδεικνύω, παρουσιάζωGreek
- montri, vidigiEsperanto
- espectáculo, programa, exposición, demostración, show, mostrar, demostrarSpanish
- نمایش, شو, نشان دادن, نمودنPersian
- näytelmä, ohjelma, näytös, näyttely, demonstraatio, esittely, esitys, show, näyttää, näytellä, näkyä, osoittaa, esittääFinnish
- démonstration, spectacle, exposition, émission, montrer, démontrerFrench
- taisbeanadh, seallScottish Gaelic
- amosar, mostrarGalician
- מופע, תוכנית, הופעה, הראה, הציגHebrew
- megmutat, mutatHungarian
- spettacolo, esibizione, programma, mostra, dimostrare, mostrareItalian
- ショー, 誇示, 展示会, 興行, 示す, 見せる, 表すJapanese
- 보이다, 전시하다Korean
- پیشانگا, پیشاندانKurdish
- exhibo, ostendo, designo, offero, monstroLatin
- емисија, изложба, претстава, пока́жува, по́кажеMacedonian
- persembahan, tunjukMalay
- wirja, spettaklu, essibizjoniMaltese
- tentoonstelling, show, expositie, voorstelling, bewijzen, aantonen, zien, demonstreren, vertonen, tonenDutch
- show, program, viseNorwegian
- pokazywać, pokazaćPolish
- programa, exposição, espetáculo, demonstração, mostra, show, apresentar, demonstrar, mostrarPortuguese
- emisiune, expoziție, program, demonstrație, spectacol, arăta, demonstraRomanian
- программа, зрелище, шоу, выставка, спектакль, представление, телепрограмма, показа́ться, показа́ть, пока́зываться, пока́зыватьRussian
- šou, izložba, demonstracija, показати, pokazatiSerbo-Croatian
- ukazovať, ukázaťSlovak
- pokazati, kazatiSlovene
- demonstration, utställning, show, uppvisning, synas, visa, märkas, demonstreraSwedish
- ప్రదర్శనం, చూపించుTelugu
- ละคร, โชว์, แสดงThai
- şov, gösteri, program, göstermekTurkish
- показа́ти, пока́зуватиUkrainian
Get even more translations for show »
Find a translation for the show definition in other languages:
Select another language: