Definitions for shillʃɪl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word shill
a decoy who acts as an enthusiastic customer in order to stimulate the participation of others
act as a shill
"The shill bid for the expensive carpet during the auction in order to drive the price up"
A person paid to endorse a product favourably, while pretending to be impartial.
An accomplice at a confidence trick during an auction or gambling game.
To promote or endorse in return for payment, especially dishonestly.
To put under cover; to sheal.
Origin: ; attested as verb 1914, as noun 1916.\ Perhaps an abbreviation of , attested 1913. The word entered English via carny, originally denoting a carnival worker who pretends to be a member of the audience in an attempt to elicit interest in an attraction.
to put under cover; to sheal
Origin: [Cf. Sheal.]
A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization. "Shill" typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that they are an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller for whom they are secretly working. The person or group who hires the shill is using crowd psychology to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services. Shills are often employed by professional marketing campaigns. "Plant" and "stooge" more commonly refer to any person who is secretly in league with another person or organization while pretending to be neutral or actually a part of the organization he is planted in, such as a magician's audience, a political party, or an intelligence organization. Shilling is illegal in many circumstances and in many jurisdictions because of the potential for fraud and damage, however if a shill does not place uninformed parties at a risk of loss, but merely generates "buzz," the shill's actions may be legal. For example, a person planted in an audience to laugh and applaud when desired, or to participate in on-stage activities as a "random member of the audience," is a type of legal shill.
The numerical value of shill in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of shill in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Images & Illustrations of shill
Translations for shill
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- trafica, trafiques, ocultar, encobrir, cobrir, testaferro, traficar, tripijocs, prevaricar, celar, embrollar, tapar, amagarCatalan, Valencian
- Anreisserin, Ware anpreisen, Gehilfe des Hausierers, Gehilfin des Schaustellers, Anreißer, Anreißerin, Lockvogel, Gehilfe des Schaustellers, Gehilfin des Hausierers, AnreisserGerman
- palero, testaferro, hombre de paja, enterrar, tapar, andar en chanchullos, celar, disimular, compinche, trapisondar, prevaricar, encubrir, ocultar, trapichearSpanish
- apuri, vedättäjä, peittää, maksettuFinnish
- cacher, enterrer, celer, mettre sous le boisseau, homme de paille, prête-nom, comparse, trafiquer, magouiller, couvrir, occulter, passer sous silence, taire, dissimuler, étouffer, compère, commère, prévariquer, tripoter, faire l'homme de pailleFrench
- compare, prevaricare, brogliare, uomo di paglia, prestanome, comparsa, trafficareItalian
- подставное лицо, подсадная утка, впариватьRussian
Get even more translations for shill »
Find a translation for the shill definition in other languages:
Select another language: