Definitions for secretaryˈsɛk rɪˌtɛr i
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word secretary
a person who is head of an administrative department of government
secretary, secretarial assistant(noun)
an assistant who handles correspondence and clerical work for a boss or an organization
a person to whom a secret is entrusted
secretary, writing table, escritoire, secretaire(noun)
a desk used for writing
Someone entrusted with a secret; a confidant.
A person who keeps records, takes notes and handles general clerical work.
The head of a department of government.
A managerial or leading position in certain non-profit organizations, such as political parties, trade unions, international organizations.
Ban Ki-Moon is the current secretary general of the United Nations.
A type of desk; a secretaire.
A species of bird; Sagittarius serpentarius.
To serve as a secretary of.
one who keeps, or is intrusted with, secrets
a person employed to write orders, letters, dispatches, public or private papers, records, and the like; an official scribe, amanuensis, or writer; one who attends to correspondence, and transacts other business, for an association, a public body, or an individual
an officer of state whose business is to superintend and manage the affairs of a particular department of government, and who is usually a member of the cabinet or advisory council of the chief executive; as, the secretary of state, who conducts the correspondence and attends to the relations of a government with foreign courts; the secretary of the treasury, who manages the department of finance; the secretary of war, etc
a piece of furniture, with conveniences for writing and for the arrangement of papers; an escritoire
the secretary bird
A secretary, personal assistant, or administrative assistant is a person whose work consists of supporting management, including executives, using a variety of project management, communication, or organizational skills. These functions may be entirely carried out to assist one other employee or may be for the benefit of more than one. In other situations a secretary is an officer of a society or organization who deals with correspondence, admits new members, and organizes official meetings and events. A secretary has many administrative duties. Traditionally, these duties were mostly related to correspondence, such as the typing out of letters, maintaining files of paper documents, etc. The advent of word processing has significantly reduced the time that such duties require, with the result that many new tasks have come under the purview of the secretary. These might include managing budgets and doing bookkeeping, maintaining websites, and making travel arrangements. Secretaries might manage all the administrative details of running a high-level conference or arrange the catering for a typical lunch meeting. Often executives will ask their assistant to take the minutes at meetings and prepare meeting documents for review.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'secretary' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #622
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'secretary' in Written Corpus Frequency: #839
Rank popularity for the word 'secretary' in Nouns Frequency: #238
Translations for secretary
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- سكرتيرة, سكرتير, وزيرArabic
- секрета́р, секрета́ркаBulgarian
- sekretářka, ministr, tajemník, sekretářCzech
- ysgrifenydd, ysgrifenyddesWelsh
- Minister, Sekretärin, Sekretär, SchreibsekretärGerman
- υπουργός, γραμματέαςGreek
- escribanía, secretario, secretaria, serpentarioSpanish
- sihteeri, kirjoituspöytä, ministeriFinnish
- messager serpentaire, secrétaireFrench
- rùnaire, clèireachScottish Gaelic
- titkár, államtitkár, főtitkár, kígyászkeselyű, titkárnő, miniszter, szekreterHungarian
- քարտուղար, քարտուղարուհի, գրասեղանArmenian
- bureau, secretariaInterlingua
- segretario, scrittoioItalian
- 大臣, 長官, 秘書Japanese
- 비서, 秘書Korean
- setiausaha, sekretarisMalay
- naaltsoos ííłʼíníNavajo, Navaho
- sekretarz, sekretarkaPolish
- secretária, secretário, escrivaninhaPortuguese
- secretar, pasăre secretar, secretarăRomanian
- секрета́рь, пти́ца-секрета́рь, мини́стр, секрета́рша, секрете́рRussian
- tȃjnīk, tȃjnicaSerbo-Croatian
- karani, makaraniSwahili
- కార్యదర్శి, సహాయకుడుTelugu
- thư kýVietnamese
Get even more translations for secretary »
Find a translation for the secretary definition in other languages:
Select another language: