Definitions for searchsɜrtʃ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word search
search, hunt, hunting(noun)
the activity of looking thoroughly in order to find something or someone
an investigation seeking answers
"a thorough search of the ledgers revealed nothing"; "the outcome justified the search"
an operation that determines whether one or more of a set of items has a specified property
"they wrote a program to do a table lookup"
the examination of alternative hypotheses
"his search for a move that would avoid checkmate was unsuccessful"
boarding and inspecting a ship on the high seas
"right of search"
search, seek, look for(verb)
try to locate or discover, or try to establish the existence of
"The police are searching for clues"; "They are searching for the missing man in the entire county"
search or seek
"We looked all day and finally found the child in the forest"; "Look elsewhere for the perfect gift!"
research, search, explore(verb)
"the students had to research the history of the Second World War for their history project"; "He searched for information on his relatives on the web"; "Scientists are exploring the nature of consciousness"
subject to a search
"The police searched the suspect"; "We searched the whole house for the missing keys"
An attempt to find something.
With only five minutes until we were meant to leave, the search for the keys started in earnest.
The act of searching in general.
Search is a hard problem for computers to solve efficiently
To look in (a place) for something.
I searched the garden for the keys and found them in the vegetable patch.
To look thoroughly.
The police are searching for evidence in his flat.
To look for, seek.
To probe or examine (a wound).
Origin: From serchen, from sercher, cerchier, from circare.
to look over or through, for the purpose of finding something; to examine; to explore; as, to search the city
to inquire after; to look for; to seek
to examine or explore by feeling with an instrument; to probe; as, to search a wound
to examine; to try; to put to the test
to seek; to look for something; to make inquiry, exploration, or examination; to hunt
the act of seeking or looking for something; quest; inquiry; pursuit for finding something; examination
Search is an American science fiction series that aired on Wednesday nights on NBC at 10 pm ET, from September 1972 to August 1973. It ran for 23 episodes, not including the two-hour pilot film originally titled Probe. When picked up for series production, the title had to be changed because Probe was the name of an existing PBS series. In the UK the series aired on BBC 1 under the title Search Control. The show was created by Leslie Stevens, and produced by Leslie Stevens, Robert Justman, John Strong and Tony Spinner. The high concept was described as "science fiction in today's world" and the episodes featured many high-tech elements which are considered common in current science fiction shows.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. An operation to locate an enemy force known or believed to be at sea. 2. A systematic reconnaissance of a defined area, so that all parts of the area have passed within visibility. 3. To distribute gunfire over an area in depth by successive changes in gun elevation.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'search' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2021
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'search' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4145
Rank popularity for the word 'search' in Nouns Frequency: #838
Rank popularity for the word 'search' in Verbs Frequency: #454
achers, Arches, arches, casher, chaser, eschar
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of search
Translations for search
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- soek, soektog, soektogteAfrikaans
- طَلَب, دور, بحثArabic
- axtarmaq, aramaqAzerbaijani
- пошук, шукацьBelarusian
- buscar, cercarCatalan, Valencian
- hledat, hledáníCzech
- søge, ledeDanish
- absuchen, durchsuchen, Suche, suchenGerman
- ψάχνω, αναζητώ, ερευνώ, αναζήτησηGreek
- serĉi, serĉoEsperanto
- buscar, búsqueda, sondear buscandoSpanish
- bilatu, xerkatuBasque
- جستجو کردنPersian
- etsintä, tutkia, etsiäFinnish
- chercher, fouiller, rechercheFrench
- cuardach, cuardaighIrish
- lorg, iarr, sireadh, sirScottish Gaelic
- ढूँढ़ना, खोजना, ढूँढना, खोजHindi
- nyomoz, keresHungarian
- փնտրել, որոնել, ման գալArmenian
- leit, leitaIcelandic
- buscare, cercare, ricercaItalian
- 捜す, 探す, 検索, 捜索Japanese
- іздеу, жоқтауKazakh
- រក, ស្វែងរក, រកមើលKhmer
- quaerō, sciscoLatin
- SichLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- paieška, ieškotiLithuanian
- rapu, pōrangi, kimi, kimikimi, kimihanga, ngaropokoMāori
- трага, бараMacedonian
- lete, søkeNorwegian
- zoeken, afzoeken, doorzoekenDutch
- przeszukiwanie, poszukiwanie, szukaćPolish
- buscar, busca, procurarPortuguese
- поиск, искать, разыскивать, обыск, розыск, разыскатьRussian
- trážiti, тра́житиSerbo-Croatian
- hľadanie, hľadaťSlovak
- iskati, iskanjeSlovene
- sökning, genomsöka, söka, leta, sökandeSwedish
- ҷустуҷӯ карданTajik
- ค้นหา, มองหาThai
- шукати, пошукUkrainian
- qidirmoq, axtarmoqUzbek
- tìm, tìm kiếmVietnamese
Get even more translations for search »
Find a translation for the search definition in other languages:
Select another language: