Definitions for scornskɔrn
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word scorn
contempt, disdain, scorn, despite(noun)
lack of respect accompanied by a feeling of intense dislike
"he was held in contempt"; "the despite in which outsiders were held is legendary"
open disrespect for a person or thing
contemn, despise, scorn, disdain(verb)
look down on with disdain
"He despises the people he has to work for"; "The professor scorns the students who don't catch on immediately"
reject, spurn, freeze off, scorn, pooh-pooh, disdain, turn down(verb)
reject with contempt
"She spurned his advances"
Contempt or disdain.
A display of disdain; A slight.
To feel or display contempt or disdain for something or somebody; to despise.
To scoff, express contempt
To reject, turn down
He scorned her romantic advances.
Origin: Alteration of escarn (cognate with Portuguese escárnio, Spanish escarnio and Italian scherno).
extreme and lofty contempt; haughty disregard; that disdain which springs from the opinion of the utter meanness and unworthiness of an object
an act or expression of extreme contempt
an object of extreme disdain, contempt, or derision
to hold in extreme contempt; to reject as unworthy of regard; to despise; to contemn; to disdain
to treat with extreme contempt; to make the object of insult; to mock; to scoff at; to deride
to scoff; to mock; to show contumely, derision, or reproach; to act disdainfully
Scorn was an English electronic music project. The group was formed in the early 1990s as a side project of former Napalm Death members Mick Harris and Nic Bullen. Bullen left the group in 1995 and the project continued on until the end of 2011 as an essentially solo project for Harris. Since their early years, Scorn is often associated with industrial and experimental music, particularly with their early releases as a duo with much of their Earache Records-era output. Since the departure of Bullen, much of the output has been minimalist beats with an emphasis on very deep bass lines, often resembling dub and trip-hop in structure. The departure from their early sound eventually led to Harris parting ways with Earache after the Logghi Barroghi release, both sides apparently having been unhappy with how the project was being handled.
Images & Illustrations of scorn
Translations for scorn
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- opovrhovat, pohrdat, opovrženíCzech
- verschmähen, verachten, verspotten, VerachtungGerman
- κοροϊδεύω, περιφρόνηση, περιφρονώGreek
- despreciar, rechazar, desprecio, desdén, desdeñar, menospreciarSpanish
- halveksia, halveksua, torjuaFinnish
- mépriser, dédaigner, mépris, dédainFrench
- שאט-נפש, לבוזHebrew
- disdegnare, disprezzare, disprezzoItalian
- verachting, minachting, verachten, minachtenDutch
- drwić, pogarda, wzgardzić, gardzić, szydzić, lekceważenie, odrzucić, lekceważyćPolish
- escárnio, desdém, menosprezar, desprezar, desdenhar, desprezoPortuguese
- disprețui, refuza, dispreț, urî, respingeRomanian
- презирать, глумиться, презрение, относиться с пренебрежением, насмехатьсяRussian
- hån, förakt, föraktaSwedish
Get even more translations for scorn »
Find a translation for the scorn definition in other languages:
Select another language: