Definitions for scatterˈskæt ər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word scatter
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
to throw loosely about:
to scatter seeds.
to cause to disperse:
to scatter a crowd.
Physics. to diffuse or deflect (a wave or beam of radiation) by collision with particles of the medium it traverses.
(v.i.)to separate and disperse.
(n.)the act of scattering.
something that is scattered.
* Syn: scatter , dispel , disperse , dissipate imply separating and driving something away so that its original form disappears. To scatter is to separate something tangible into parts at random and drive these in different directions: The wind scattered leaves all over the lawn. To dispel is to drive away or scatter usu. intangible things so that they vanish: Your explanation has dispelled my doubts. To disperse is usu. to cause a compact or organized tangible body to separate or scatter in different directions, to be reassembled if desired: Tear gas dispersed the mob. To dissipate is usu. to scatter by dissolving or reducing to small atoms or parts that cannot be reunited: He dissipated his money and his energy in useless activities.
Origin of scatter:
1125–75; ME scateren; cf. MD, D schateren to burst out laughing
a haphazard distribution in all directions
scatter, scattering, strewing(verb)
the act of scattering
disperse, dissipate, dispel, break up, scatter(verb)
to cause to separate and go in different directions
"She waved her hand and scattered the crowds"
disperse, dissipate, scatter, spread out(verb)
move away from each other
"The crowds dispersed"; "The children scattered in all directions when the teacher approached";
scatter, sprinkle, dot, dust, disperse(verb)
"He scattered gun powder under the wagon"
sow by scattering
break up, disperse, scatter(verb)
cause to separate
"break up kidney stones"; "disperse particles"
spread, scatter, spread out(verb)
strew or distribute over an area
"He spread fertilizer over the lawn"; "scatter cards across the table"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
to throw or spread many similar things around an area
She scattered the seeds around the flower bed.
to cause people or things in a group to move in many directions, or to move in this way
The crowd scattered.; A single shot scattered the herd.
To (cause to) separate and go in different directions; to disperse.
To distribute loosely as by sprinkling.
Her ashes were scattered at the top of a waterfall.
To deflect (radiation or particles).
To occur or fall at widely spaced intervals.
Origin: From scateren, from sceaterian, probably from a dialect of Old Norse. Compare Low German schateren, Dutch schateren and Norwegian skratte ('to burst out laughing').
to strew about; to sprinkle around; to throw down loosely; to deposit or place here and there, esp. in an open or sparse order
to cause to separate in different directions; to reduce from a close or compact to a loose or broken order; to dissipate; to disperse
hence, to frustrate, disappoint, and overthrow; as, to scatter hopes, plans, or the like
to be dispersed or dissipated; to disperse or separate; as, clouds scatter after a storm
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'scatter' in Verbs Frequency: #833
Translations for scatter
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
to (make) go or rush in different directions
The sudden noise scattered the birds; The crowds scattered when the bomb exploded.
- пръскам (се)Bulgarian
- espalhar(-se)Portuguese (BR)
- rozptýlit (se)Czech
- sprede; sprede sigDanish
- laiali ajama, hajumaEstonian
- متفرق شدنFarsi
- (se) disperserFrench
- तितर-बितर करनाHindi
- (szét)szór; szétoszlikHungarian
- tvístra; dreifaIcelandic
- disperdere, disperdersiItalian
- išblaškyti/pabirti į visas pusesLithuanian
- izklīst (uz visām pusēm); izkliedētLatvian
- uiteenjagen, uiteengaanDutch
- spre (seg)Norwegian
- rozproszyć (się)Polish
- متفرق شدنPersian
- پاشل، تيتول، شيندل، خپرول،Pashto
- a (se) risipi, a (se) dispersaRomanian
- разгонять, рассеивать(ся)Russian
- rozptýliť (sa), rozpŕchnuť saSlovak
- razgnati, razbežati seSlovenian
- rastgele dağıtmak/dağılmakTurkish
- (使)散開，驅散Chinese (Trad.)
- розбігатися, кидатися врозтічUkrainian
- بکھیر دیناUrdu
- làm cho chạy tán loạnVietnamese
- 使消散，驱散，散开Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for scatter »
Find a translation for the scatter definition in other languages:
Select another language: