Definitions for sailorˈseɪ lər
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
a person whose occupation is sailing or navigation; mariner.
a seaman below the rank of officer.
a naval enlistee.
Category: Common Vocabulary, Military
a flat-brimmed straw hat with a low flat crown.
* Syn: sailor , seaman , mariner , salt are terms for a person who leads a seafaring life. A sailor or seaman is one whose occupation is on board a ship at sea, esp. a member of a ship's crew below the rank of petty officer: a sailor before the mast; an able-bodied seaman.mariner is a term found in certain technical expressions: mariner's compass (ordinary compass as used on ships); the word now seems elevated or quaint: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. salt is an informal term for an experienced sailor: an old salt.
Origin of sailor:
1540–50; earlier sailer
any member of a ship's crew
bluejacket, navy man, sailor, sailor boy(noun)
a serviceman in the navy
boater, leghorn, Panama, Panama hat, sailor, skimmer, straw hat(noun)
a stiff hat made of straw with a flat crown
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
sb who sails boats or ships as their job or for pleasure
One who follows the business of navigating ships or other vessels; one who understands the practical management of ships; one of the crew of a vessel; a mariner; a common seaman.
Origin: From sailer.
one who follows the business of navigating ships or other vessels; one who understands the practical management of ships; one of the crew of a vessel; a mariner; a common seaman
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
A man who makes his living on water but never touches it on shore.
Translations for sailor
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
a member of a ship's crew whose job is helping to sail a ship.
- بَحّار، مَلاّحArabic
- marinheiroPortuguese (BR)
- der MatroseGerman
- sømand; matrosDanish
- नाविक, मल्लाहHindi
- mornar, pomoracCroatian
- marinaio, navigatoreItalian
- jūrnieks; matrozisLatvian
- anak kapalMalay
- sjømann, matrosNorwegian
- ماڼو، بېړۍ وانPashto
- seglare, sjöman, matrosSwedish
- gemici, denizciTurkish
- 水手Chinese (Trad.)
- моряк, матросUkrainian
- جہاز کے عملے کا آدمیUrdu
- thủy thủVietnamese
- 水手Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for sailor »