Definitions for sabbathˈsæb əθ
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
the seventh day of the week, Saturday, as the day of rest and religious observance among Jews and some Christians. Ex. 20:8–11.
Category: Bible, Judaism
the first day of the week, Sunday, observed by most Christians in commemoration of the Resurrection of Christ.
(often l.c.) a day of rest or prayer.
* Syn: See Sunday.
Origin of Sabbath:
bef. 900; OE < L sabbatum < Gk sábbaton < Heb shabbāth rest
a day of rest and worship: Sunday for most Christians; Saturday for the Jews and a few Christians; Friday for Muslims
The Biblical seventh day of the week, observed as a day of rest in Judaism, Advent, or Baptism, starting at sundown on Friday till sundown on Saturday.
Sunday, observed throughout the majority of Christianity as a day of rest.
Friday, observed in Islam as a day of rest.
A meeting of witch at midnight.
a season or day of rest; one day in seven appointed for rest or worship, the observance of which was enjoined upon the Jews in the Decalogue, and has been continued by the Christian church with a transference of the day observed from the last to the first day of the week, which is called also Lord's Day
the seventh year, observed among the Israelites as one of rest and festival
fig.: A time of rest or repose; intermission of pain, effort, sorrow, or the like
The Nuttall Encyclopedia
the seventh day of the week, observed by the Jews as a day of "rest" from all work and "holy to the Lord," as His day, specially in commemoration of His rest from the work of creation, the observance of which by the Christian Church has been transferred to the first of the week in commemoration of Christ's resurrection.
Translations for sabbath
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
(usually with the ) a day of the week regularly set aside for religious services and rest– among the Jews, Saturday; among most Christians, Sunday.
- يَوْم السَّبْتArabic
- dia do SenhorPortuguese (BR)
- šábes; neděleCzech
- der SabbatGerman
- sabbat; hviledagDanish
- ημέρα αργίας και εκπλήρωσης των θρησκευτικών καθηκόντων (Σάββατο των Εβραίων, Κυριακή των χριστιανών)Greek
- (cristiano) domingo; (judío) sábadoSpanish
- روز سبت؛روز استراحت يا عبادت براي مسيحيانFarsi
- sabbat; dimancheFrench
- विश्राम दिवसHindi
- sabat, dan GospodnjiCroatian
- szombat (zsidóknál); vasárnap (keresztényeknél)Hungarian
- sabbatsdagur, hvíldardagurIcelandic
- (giorno di riposo)Italian
- šventadienis, šabasLithuanian
- svētdiena; sabatsLatvian
- hari SabatMalay
- sabbat; helg, hviledagNorwegian
- sabat, szabas, niedzielaPolish
- روز سبت؛روز استراحت يا عبادت براي يهودىهاPersian
- داستراحت او عبادت ورځ: ديكشنبې(په عيسويت): شنبې (په يهوديت كىPashto
- dia do SenhorPortuguese
- sabat; duminicăRomanian
- священный день отдохновенияRussian
- sabbat, vilodagSwedish
- Sebt günüTurkish
- (宗教的)安息日，猶太教為週六，基督教為週日Chinese (Trad.)
- священний день відпочинкуUkrainian
- یوم السبتUrdu
- ngày xabaVietnamese
- （宗教的）安息日Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for sabbath »
Find a translation for the sabbath definition in other languages:
Select another language: