Definitions for ruggedˈrʌg ɪd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word rugged
sturdy and strong in constitution or construction; enduring
"with a house full of boys you have to have rugged furniture"
having long narrow shallow depressions (as grooves or wrinkles) in the surface
"furrowed fields"; "his furrowed face lit by a warming smile"
topographically very uneven
"broken terrain"; "rugged ground"
very difficult; severely testing stamina or resolution
"a rugged competitive examination"; "the rugged conditions of frontier life"; "the competition was tough"; "it's a tough life"; "it was a tough job"
full of asperities on the surface; broken into sharp or irregular points, or otherwise uneven; not smooth; rough; as, a rugged mountain; a rugged road
not neat or regular; uneven
rough with bristles or hair; shaggy
harsh; hard; crabbed; austere; -- said of temper, character, and the like, or of persons
stormy; turbulent; tempestuous; rude
rough to the ear; harsh; grating; -- said of sound, style, and the like
sour; surly; frowning; wrinkled; -- said of looks, etc
violent; rude; boisterrous; -- said of conduct, manners, etc
vigorous; robust; hardy; -- said of health, physique, etc
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Mud, rugged terrain and bad weather hampered our rescue efforts.
Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return.
It's tough time that actually reveals your/one's true colour i.e. whether you/one are/is tough or not, rugged or not, persistent or not.
The main problem is that the terrain is very rugged, inaccessible, technicians are dangling over deep ravines from cables covered with an inch of ice.
The runway appears, framed in the island's rugged outline as you approach. Depending on wind conditions, pilots can land on both ends of the 400-meter strip. It's like landing on an aircraft carrier, with a deep drop-off into the sea.
Translations for rugged
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- barboso, escabroso, fuerte, violento, velludo, despelotado, vigoroso, duro, robusto, difícil, turbulento, a lo natural, rasposo, tosco, filudo, bravo, al lote, rudoSpanish
- epätasainen, riipivä, hapan, takkuinen, rosoinen, raastava, kallioinen, myrskyinen, vankka, karu, karkea, karskiFinnish
- hargneux, rugueux, tempétueux, solide, robuste, turbulent, irrégulier, violent, sévère, rudeFrench
- potig, ruw, ruig, grofDutch
- грубый, щетинистый, суровый, угрюмый, шероховатый, строгий, пересечённый, прочный, изрезанный, бурный, крепкий, резкий, неровныйRussian
Get even more translations for rugged »
Find a translation for the rugged definition in other languages:
Select another language: