Definitions for rivalˈraɪ vəl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word rival
rival, challenger, competitor, competition, contender(verb)
the contestant you hope to defeat
"he had respect for his rivals"; "he wanted to know what the competition was doing"
equal, touch, rival, match(verb)
be equal to in quality or ability
"Nothing can rival cotton for durability"; "Your performance doesn't even touch that of your colleagues"; "Her persistence and ambition only matches that of her parents"
be the rival of, be in competition with
"we are rivaling for first place in the race"
A competitor (person, team, company, etc.) who is well known to another and has similar skills and achievements. Defeating a rival may be a primary or necessary goal of a competitor.
Chris is my biggest rival in the 400m.
Someone or something with similar claims of quality or distinction as another.
As a social historian, he has no rival.
To oppose or compete with.
To equal to or surpass another.
Origin: From rivalis, literally ‘person using the same stream as another’, from rivus.
a person having a common right or privilege with another; a partner
one who is in pursuit of the same object as another; one striving to reach or obtain something which another is attempting to obtain, and which one only can posses; a competitor; as, rivals in love; rivals for a crown
having the same pretensions or claims; standing in competition for superiority; as, rival lovers; rival claims or pretensions
to stand in competition with; to strive to gain some object in opposition to; as, to rival one in love
to strive to equal or exel; to emulate
to be in rivalry
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'rival' in Nouns Frequency: #1593
Rank popularity for the word 'rival' in Adjectives Frequency: #825
Images & Illustrations of rival
Translations for rival
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- съперница, противник, противница, съперникBulgarian
- rivalCatalan, Valencian
- sok, rival, soupeřCzech
- Rivale, Konkurrent, GegnerGerman
- αντίπαλος, ανταγωνιστής, ανταγωνίζομαι, παραβγαίνωGreek
- kilpailija, kilpaillaFinnish
- rival, rivaliserFrench
- rivális, rivalizál, verseng, vetélytársHungarian
- lawan, penentang, musunIndonesian
- rivale, competitore, competere, antagonista, avversario, rivaleggiare, pariItalian
- 敵, ライバルJapanese
- მეტოქე, რაყიფიGeorgian
- tegenstander, vijand, rivaal, concurentDutch
- adversário, competidor, rivalPortuguese
- противник, конкурентка, равный, соперничать, соперник, соперница, противница, конкурент, конкурироватьRussian
- benzer, rakip, eş, denk, emsalTurkish
Get even more translations for rival »
Find a translation for the rival definition in other languages:
Select another language: