Definitions for reluctantrɪˈlʌk tənt
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
a reluctant candidate.
marked by hesitation or slowness because of unwillingness:
a reluctant promise.
* Syn: reluctant , loath , averse describe disinclination toward something. reluctant implies some sort of mental struggle, as between disinclination and sense of duty: reluctant to expel students.loath describes extreme disinclination: loath to part from a friend.averse describes a long-held dislike or unwillingness, though not a particularly strong feeling: averse to an idea; averse to getting up early.
Origin of reluctant:
1655–65; < L reluctant-, s. of reluctāns, prp. of reluctārī. See reluct , -ant
loath, loth, reluctant(adj)
unwillingness to do something contrary to your custom
"a reluctant smile"; "loath to admit a mistake"
disinclined to become involved
"they were usually reluctant to socialize"; "reluctant to help"
"foreigners stubbornly reluctant to accept our ways"; "fresh from college and reluctant for the moment to marry him"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
unwilling to do sth
a reluctant smile; I'm reluctant to tell anyone yet.; her reluctance to admit she was wrong
Opposing; offering resistance (to).
Not wanting to take some action; unwilling.
She was reluctant to lend him the money
striving against; opposed in desire; unwilling; disinclined; loth
proceeding from an unwilling mind; granted with reluctance; as, reluctant obedience
Translations for reluctant
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
He was reluctant to accept the medal for his bravery.
- مُمانِع، غَيْر راغِبArabic
- relutantePortuguese (BR)
- διστακτικός, απρόθυμοςGreek
- renuente, reacioSpanish
- بی میلFarsi
- peu disposé àFrench
- אֵינוֹ מְגָלֶה רצוֹןHebrew
- nesklon, protiv voljeCroatian
- 마음이 내키지 않는Korean
- Viņš nevēlējās.Latvian
- berat hatiMalay
- mot-/uvillig, nølendeNorwegian
- بی میلPersian
- بى ميله، بىميلى، مخالفت، مقاومتPashto
- şovăitor, ezitantRomanian
- zdráhavý, neochotnýSlovak
- ovillig, motvilligSwedish
- isteksiz, gönülsüzTurkish
- 不情願的Chinese (Trad.)
- نا رضامندUrdu
- miễn cưỡngVietnamese
- 不愿意的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for reluctant »
Find a translation for the reluctant definition in other languages:
Select another language: