Definitions for quibbleˈkwɪb əl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word quibble
quibble, quiddity, cavil(verb)
an evasion of the point of an argument by raising irrelevant distinctions or objections
evade the truth of a point or question by raising irrelevant objections
quibble, niggle, pettifog, bicker, squabble, brabble(verb)
argue over petty things
"Let's not quibble over pennies"
A trivial or minor complaint, objection or argument.
I have a quibble with the management practice of declaring everything urgent.
To complain or argue in a trivial or petty manner.
They are constantly quibbling over insignificant details.
a shift or turn from the point in question; a trifling or evasive distinction; an evasion; a cavil
a pun; a low conceit
to evade the point in question by artifice, play upon words, caviling, or by raising any insignificant or impertinent question or point; to trifle in argument or discourse; to equivocate
to pun; to practice punning
In literature, a quibble is a common plot device, used to fulfill the exact verbal conditions of an agreement in order to avoid the intended meaning. Its most common uses are in legal bargains and, in fantasy, magically enforced ones. In one of the best known examples, William Shakespeare used a quibble in The Merchant of Venice. Portia saves Antonio in a court of law by pointing out that the agreement called for a pound of flesh, but no blood, and therefore Shylock can collect only if he sheds no blood.
Translations for quibble
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- herumstreiten, Spitzfindigkeit, kleinliche Kritik, HaarspaltereiGerman
- sutilizar, argucia, sutilezaSpanish
- mutina, kitistä, narista, kitinä, marina, marista, narina, suukopu, kränäFinnish
- pinailler, chicaner, chipoter, ergoter, argutie, chinoiserFrench
- cavillare, cavilloItalian
- haarkloverij, muggenziftenDutch
- preocupar-se, discutir, minúciaPortuguese
- придирка, придиратьсяRussian
- cepidlačenje, cepidlačitiSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for quibble »
Find a translation for the quibble definition in other languages:
Select another language: