Definitions for prowessˈpraʊ ɪs
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word prowess
art, artistry, prowess(noun)
a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation
"the art of conversation"; "it's quite an art"
Skillfulness and manual ability; adroitness or dexterity.
Distinguished bravery or courage, especially in battle; heroism
Origin: From proeche (Modern French: prouesse)
distinguished bravery; valor; especially, military bravery and skill; gallantry; intrepidity; fearlessness
Origin: [OF. proece, proesce, F. prouesse. See Prow, a.]
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Without an adversary prowess shrivels. We see how great and efficient it really is only when it shows by endurance what it is capable of.
It has got nothing to do with the prowess of a selected person’s mind, but they find and recruit the people of their kind only to show the standard and the class of their own house.
Classes differentiate themselves from masses by the yardstick of mental prowess standard than by the monetary power status. A true leader hails from the classes and others belong to the masses.
Never underestimate the powers and prowess of your small efforts. Think of the "Butterfly Effect", which underscores the fact that even a tiny butterfly stirring the calm air in California can transform severe storm systems next month in Korea.
Famous shipbuilders such as Donald Mackay referred to a certain part of his ships as having a 'forepeak'. Has anyone discovered any of his contemporaries as seeking to exceed his prowess by incorporating five, six or more 'peaks' in their ship design?
Images & Illustrations of prowess
Translations for prowess
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- dovednost, obratnost, zručnost, hrdinstvíCzech
- Heldenmut, Fähigkeiten, Können, TapferkeitGerman
- ανδρεία, δεξιότηταGreek
- destreza, capacidad, habilidad, proezaSpanish
- taitavuus, sankaruusFinnish
- fait d'armes, adresse, exploit, prouesse, dextérité, héroïsme, haut fait, habiletéFrench
- խիզախություն, ճարպկություն, հմտությունArmenian
- 武勇, 技量Japanese
- bekwaamheid, heldenmoed, dapperheidDutch
- умение, храбрость, отвага, мастерство, удальRussian
- spretnost, одважност, odvažnost, спретностSerbo-Croatian
- hjältemod, tapperhet, skicklighetSwedish
- galing, abilidadTagalog
- yiğitlik, cesaret, maharet, hüner, kahramanlıkTurkish
Get even more translations for prowess »
Find a translation for the prowess definition in other languages:
Select another language: