prosecutor, public prosecutor, prosecuting officer, prosecuting attorney(noun)
a government official who conducts criminal prosecutions on behalf of the state
A lawyer who decides whether to charge a person with a crime and tries to prove in court that the person is guilty.
The prosecutor got the witness to admit he was lying.
one who prosecutes or carries on any purpose, plan, or business
the person who institutes and carries on a criminal suit against another in the name of the government
Origin: [Cf. L. prosecutor an attendant.]
The prosecutor is the chief legal representative of the prosecution in countries with either the common law adversarial system, or the civil law inquisitorial system. The prosecution is the legal party responsible for presenting the case in a criminal trial against an individual accused of breaking the law.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. One who abets a crime after it has or has not been committed. 2. An oratorical censor that precedes the coming of the hangman. 3. A pumice-stone that gives to the Statue of Justice a cleanly, Christian look. 4. A nose that can sniff the gallows, long before the wood is cut for it in the forest.
The numerical value of prosecutor in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of prosecutor in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Images & Illustrations of prosecutor
Translations for prosecutor
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- النائب العامArabic
- fiscalCatalan, Valencian
- Staatsanwalt, StaatsanwältinGerman
- procuratrice, procureurFrench
- 検察官, 検察Japanese
- prokurator, oskarżycielPolish
- promotora, promotorPortuguese
- tùžitelj, tužitèljicaSerbo-Croatian
- kiongozi wa mashtakaSwahili
Get even more translations for prosecutor »
Find a translation for the prosecutor definition in other languages:
Select another language: