Definitions for predicamentprɪˈdɪk ə mənt for 1 ; ˈprɛd ɪ kə- for 2
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word predicament
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
pre•dic•a•ment*prɪˈdɪk ə mənt for 1 ; ˈprɛd ɪ kə- for 2(n.)
an unpleasantly difficult, perplexing, or dangerous situation.
a class or category of logical or philosophical predication.
* Syn: predicament , plight , dilemma , quandary refer to unpleasant or puzzling situations. predicament and plight stress more the unpleasant nature, dilemma and quandary the puzzling nature, of a situation. predicament , though often used lightly, may also refer to a crucial situation: Stranded in a strange city without money, he was in a predicament.plight , however, though originally meaning peril or danger, is most often used lightly: When her suit wasn't ready at the cleaners, she was in a terrible plight.dilemma means a position of doubt or perplexity in which a person is faced by two equally undesirable alternatives: the dilemma of a person who must support one of two friends in an election.quandary is the state of mental perplexity of one faced with a difficult situation: There seemed to be no way out of the quandary.
Origin of predicament:
1350–1400; ME < LL praedicāmentum something predicated, asserted, der. of praedicāre. See predicate , -ment
predicament, quandary, plight(noun)
a situation from which extrication is difficult especially an unpleasant or trying one
"finds himself in a most awkward predicament"; "the woeful plight of homeless people"
A definite class, state or condition.
An unfortunate or trying position or condition; a tight spot.
That which is predicated; a category.
a class or kind described by any definite marks; hence, condition; particular situation or state; especially, an unfortunate or trying position or condition
Translations for predicament
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
an unfortunate or difficult situation.
- moeilike toestandAfrikaans
- أزْمَه، مأزِق، ورْطَهArabic
- dilemaPortuguese (BR)
- obtížná situaceCzech
- mißliche LageGerman
- δύσκολη θέσηGreek
- apuro, aprieto, situación difícilSpanish
- ohtlik olukordEstonian
- situation difficileFrench
- neugodan položaj, škripacCroatian
- kínos helyzetHungarian
- kesulitan, keadaan sulitIndonesian
- vandræði, klemmaIcelandic
- (situazione difficile)Italian
- kebli padėtisLithuanian
- nepatīkama/grūta situācijaLatvian
- hachelijke situatieDutch
- knipe, vanskelig situasjonNorwegian
- حالت وخيمPersian
- وخيم يا مشكل حالتPashto
- situaţie dificilăRomanian
- неприятное, затруднительное положениеRussian
- nepríjemná / ťažká situáciaSlovak
- besvärlig situation (belägenhet), predikamentSwedish
- güç durum, açmazTurkish
- 困境Chinese (Trad.)
- скрутне становищеUkrainian
- مشکل صورت حالUrdu
- tình thế khó khănVietnamese
- 困境Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for predicament »
Find a translation for the predicament definition in other languages:
Select another language: