preacher, preacher man, sermonizer, sermoniser(noun)
someone whose occupation is preaching the gospel
Someone who preaches the gospel; a clergyman.
Alternative name for Ecclesiastes, the twenty-first book of the Old Testament.
one who preaches; one who discourses publicly on religious subjects
one who inculcates anything with earnestness
Origin: [Cf. OF. preeschierre, prescheur, F. prcheur, L. praedicator.]
A preacher is a person who delivers sermons or gives homilies, generally on religious topics, although one can also preach any of the components of any worldview or philosophy. Some see a preacher as distinct from a theologian by focusing on the communication rather than the development of doctrine. Others see preaching and theology as being intertwined. Preaching is not limited to religious views, but it extends to moral and social world-views as well.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. Mendicancy in a celluloid collar. 2. A man who advises others concerning things about which he knows nothing. 3. Any man who lives on six hundred dollars a year and only works orally. 4. (Now obsolete) One who makes pastoral calls, frightens the young, astonishes the old, bothers the busy, and serves disappointed females as vicarious lover, father, friend, and personal representative of Deity.
Song lyrics by preacher -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by preacher on the Lyrics.com website.
The numerical value of preacher in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of preacher in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Images & Illustrations of preacher
Translations for preacher
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- prædikumaður, prædikariFaroese
- searmonaicheScottish Gaelic
- preaçhoor, sharmaneaghManx
- kaikauwhau, kaikauhauMāori
- predikant, predikerDutch
Get even more translations for preacher »
Find a translation for the preacher definition in other languages:
Select another language: