Definitions for poorpʊər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word poor
poor people, poor(adj)
people without possessions or wealth (considered as a group)
"the urban poor need assistance"
hapless, miserable, misfortunate, pathetic, piteous, pitiable, pitiful, poor, wretched(adj)
deserving or inciting pity
"a hapless victim"; "miserable victims of war"; "the shabby room struck her as extraordinarily pathetic"- Galsworthy; "piteous appeals for help"; "pitiable homeless children"; "a pitiful fate"; "Oh, you poor thing"; "his poor distorted limbs"; "a wretched life"
having little money or few possessions
"deplored the gap between rich and poor countries"; "the proverbial poor artist living in a garret"
characterized by or indicating poverty
"the country had a poor economy"; "they lived in the poor section of town"
lacking in specific resources, qualities or substances
"a poor land"; "the area was poor in timber and coal"; "food poor in nutritive value"
inadequate, poor, short(adj)
not sufficient to meet a need
"an inadequate income"; "a poor salary"; "money is short"; "on short rations"; "food is in short supply"; "short on experience"
"a poor light for reading"; "poor morale"; "expectations were poor"
Those people as a group who have little or no possessions or money.
The poor are always with us.
With little or no possessions or money.
We were so poor that we couldn't afford shoes.
Of low quality.
That was a poor performance.
To be pitied.
Oh you poor little thing.
Deficient in a specified way.
Cow's milk is poor in iron.
I received a poor reward for all my hard work.
destitute of property; wanting in material riches or goods; needy; indigent
so completely destitute of property as to be entitled to maintenance from the public
destitute of such qualities as are desirable, or might naturally be expected
wanting in fat, plumpness, or fleshiness; lean; emaciated; meager; as, a poor horse, ox, dog, etc
wanting in strength or vigor; feeble; dejected; as, poor health; poor spirits
of little value or worth; not good; inferior; shabby; mean; as, poor clothes; poor lodgings
destitute of fertility; exhausted; barren; sterile; -- said of land; as, poor soil
destitute of beauty, fitness, or merit; as, a poor discourse; a poor picture
without prosperous conditions or good results; unfavorable; unfortunate; unconformable; as, a poor business; the sick man had a poor night
inadequate; insufficient; insignificant; as, a poor excuse
worthy of pity or sympathy; -- used also sometimes as a term of endearment, or as an expression of modesty, and sometimes as a word of contempt
free from self-assertion; not proud or arrogant; meek
a small European codfish (Gadus minutus); -- called also power cod
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
Imagery is unsuitable for interpretation to answer adequately requirements on
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'poor' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #648
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'poor' in Written Corpus Frequency: #814
Rank popularity for the word 'poor' in Adjectives Frequency: #64
Translations for poor
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- فقير, مسكينArabic
- fağır, kasıb, yoxsulAzerbaijani
- лош, беденBulgarian
- paour, peorienBreton
- pobre, pobresCatalan, Valencian
- nebohý, chudý, nevalnýCzech
- stakkels, fattigDanish
- arm, armselig, ArmenGerman
- kompatinda, bedaŭrindaEsperanto
- rassu, raukka, rukka, kehno, köyhä, heikkolaatuinen, varaton, poloinen, köyhätFinnish
- pauvre, piètre, pitoyable, pauvresFrench
- earmWestern Frisian
- bochd, truaghScottish Gaelic
- דלת העם, מסכן, עניHebrew
- दीन, ग़रीबHindi
- szegényes, szegény, szegényekHungarian
- աղքատ, ողորմելի, չքավոր, խեղճ, ստից, վատ, աղքատներըArmenian
- malang, burukIndonesian
- povra, nebonaIdo
- misero, poveroItalian
- 貧乏, 粗末, 哀れ, かわいそう, 貧しいJapanese
- საწყალი, ღარიბიGeorgian
- ههژار, خهراپ, فهقیر, گوناح, دهست کورت, بێ قیمهتKurdish
- aarm, aarmséilegLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- сиромашен, лошMacedonian
- दीन, ग़रीबMarathi
- beklagenswaardig, berooid, arm, armeDutch
- blakk, elendig, fattig, stakkars, dårlig, de fattigeNorwegian
- ubogi, biedny, nędzny, biedacy, nędznicyPolish
- pobre, necessitado, humilde, fraco, pobresPortuguese
- pauper, poverRomansh
- amărât, slab, biet, prost, săracRomanian
- бедный, плохой, слабый, жалкий, несчастный, убогий, нищийRussian
- pobaru, poberu, poaru, povruSardinian
- ubog, убог, bedan, бедан, биједан, siromašan, сиромашан, bijedanSerbo-Croatian
- biedny, chudobnýSlovak
- slàb, reven, ubogSlovene
- usel, stackars, undermålig, eländig, fattig, miserabel, dålig, de fattigaSwedish
- పేద, నాసి రకం, పాపం, నాసి, బీదTelugu
- perişan, züğürt, kötü, yoksul, düşkün, zavallı, zayıf, fakirTurkish
- دین, غریبUrdu
Get even more translations for poor »
Find a translation for the poor definition in other languages:
Select another language: