affecting, poignant, touching(adj)
"the homecoming of the released hostages was an affecting scene"; "poignant grief cannot endure forever"; "his gratitude was simple and touching"
keenly distressing to the mind or feelings
His comments were poignant and witty.
neat; eloquent; applicable; relevant.
A poignant reply will garner more credence than hours of blown smoke.
Evoking strong mental sensation, to the point of distress; emotionally moving.
Flipping through his high school yearbook evoked many a poignant memory of yesteryear.
Inducing sharp physical pain.
Origin: From poynaunt, puignant et al., poignant, present participle of poindre, from pungo.
pricking; piercing; sharp; pungent
fig.: Pointed; keen; satirical
Origin: [F., p. pr. of poindre to sting, fr. L. pungere to prick, sting. See Pungent.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
poin′ant, adj. stinging, pricking: sharp: penetrating: acutely painful: satirical: pungent.—n. Poign′ancy, state of being poignant.—adv. Poign′antly. [O. Fr. poignant, poindre—L. pungĕre, to sting.]
The numerical value of poignant in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of poignant in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
And what was most poignant for me.
There are few sorrows, however poignant, in which a good income is of no avail.
After I saw the cowardly way James Foley was killed, I knew I had to do something, and what was most poignant for me.
Among all the tragic consequences of depression and war, this suppression of personal self-expression through one's life work is among the most poignant.
I'm very pleased that we invited Muslims. We also share their pain, the pain of all those who suffer, in every way, the sentiments expressed were very, very strong. Some of them were very poignant.
Images & Illustrations of poignant
Translations for poignant
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- schmerzlich, durchdringend, zugespitzt, eindringlich, streng, packend, stechend, ergreifend, eindringend, schneidend, beißend, spitz, scharf, pikant, treffend, schmerzhaftGerman
- αιχημρός, διαπεραστικός, σπαραχτικός, οξύς, επίπονος, οδυνηρός, αιχμηρόςGreek
- puntiagudo, penetrante, picante, claro, agudo, incisivo, punzo-cortante, elocuente, conmovedorSpanish
- kärkevä, pistävä, kirpeä, pikanttiFinnish
- tiamhaidhScottish Gaelic
- elevenbe vágóHungarian
- piccante, commovente, acuto, eloquente, emozionante, incisivo, affilato, appuntito, penetrante, pungente, intenso, toccante, chiaro, dolorosoItalian
- נוגע ללבHebrew
- 痛烈な, 鋭い, 辛辣なJapanese
- wzruszający, cięty, ostryPolish
- agudo, penetrante, picante, emocionante, pungente, comovente, doloroso, incisivo, pontiagudo, eloquente, claroPortuguese
- пронизывающий, острый, резкий (о запахе)Russian
Get even more translations for poignant »
Find a translation for the poignant definition in other languages:
Select another language: