Definitions for pitifulˈpɪt ɪ fəl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word pitiful
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
pit•i•ful*ˈpɪt ɪ fəl(adj.)
evoking or deserving pity:
a pitiful fate.
arousing contempt by smallness, poor quality, etc.:
Archaic. full of pity; compassionate.
* Syn: pitiful , pitiable , piteous apply to that which arouses pity (with compassion or with contempt). That which is pitiful is touching and excites pity or is mean and contemptible: a pitiful leper; a pitiful exhibition of cowardice.pitiable may mean lamentable, or wretched and paltry: a pitiable hovel.piteous refers only to that which exhibits suffering and misery, and is therefore heartrending: piteous poverty.
Origin of pitiful:
pathetic, pitiable, pitiful(adj)
inspiring mixed contempt and pity
"their efforts were pathetic"; "pitiable lack of character"; "pitiful exhibition of cowardice"
deplorable, distressing, lamentable, pitiful, sad, sorry(adj)
"my finances were in a deplorable state"; "a lamentable decision"; "her clothes were in sad shape"; "a sorry state of affairs"
hapless, miserable, misfortunate, pathetic, piteous, pitiable, pitiful, poor, wretched(adj)
deserving or inciting pity
"a hapless victim"; "miserable victims of war"; "the shabby room struck her as extraordinarily pathetic"- Galsworthy; "piteous appeals for help"; "pitiable homeless children"; "a pitiful fate"; "Oh, you poor thing"; "his poor distorted limbs"; "a wretched life"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
pitiful(adjective)ˈpɪt ɪ fəl
causing you to feel pity or sympathy
The cat stood in the rain looking pitiful.
pitifulˈpɪt ɪ fəl
very bad or very small
a pitiful performance by the team; The amount they paid me was pitiful.; She looked pitifully weak.; The company performed pitifully last quarter.
Feeling pity; merciful.
So appalling or sad that one feels or should feel sorry for it; eliciting pity.
Scotland has a pitiful climate.
Very small (of an amount or number).
A pitiful number of students bothered to turn up.
full of pity; tender-hearted; compassionate; kind; merciful; sympathetic
piteous; lamentable; eliciting compassion
to be pitied for littleness or meanness; miserable; paltry; contemptible; despicable
Translations for pitiful
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
very sad; causing pity
a pitiful sight.
- مُثير للِشَّفَقَهArabic
- deplorávelPortuguese (BR)
- žalostný, budící soucitCzech
- ynkværdig; bedrøveligDanish
- θλιβερός, καταθλιπτικόςGreek
- lamentable, deplorableSpanish
- رقت انگیزFarsi
- מְעוֹרֵר רַחָמִיםHebrew
- apgailėtinas, graudusLithuanian
- bēdīgs; aizkustinošsLatvian
- menimbulkan rasa belasMalay
- bedrøvelig, ynkverdigNorwegian
- رقت انگیزPersian
- زړه سواندى، مهربان، دزړه سوى وړ، ټيټ، دغند نى وړ، دټيټ،دغندنى وړ، دتر ټلووړPashto
- жалостный, печальныйRussian
- žalostný, vzbudzujúci súcitSlovak
- ömklig, sorglig, beklagansvärdSwedish
- acıklı, yürekler acısıTurkish
- 可憐的Chinese (Trad.)
- жалісний, жалібнийUkrainian
- افسوس ناکUrdu
- gợi lên sự xót thươngVietnamese
- 可怜的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for pitiful »
Find a translation for the pitiful definition in other languages:
Select another language: