baneful, deadly, pernicious, pestilent(adj)
insidious, pernicious, subtle(adj)
working or spreading in a hidden and usually injurious way
"glaucoma is an insidious disease"; "a subtle poison"
Causing much harm in a subtle way.
Causing death or injury; deadly.
quick; swift (to burn)
having the quality of injuring or killing; destructive; very mischievous; baleful; malicious; wicked
Origin: [L. pernix, -icis.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
per-nish′us, adj. killing utterly: hurtful: destructive: highly injurious.—adv. Perni′ciously.—n. Perni′ciousness. [Fr.,—L. perniciosus—per, completely, nex, necis, death by violence.]
The numerical value of pernicious in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of pernicious in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Patriotism is a pernicious, psychopathic form of idiocy.
This study highlights that illicit financial flows are pervasive and pernicious in the developing world.
The machine has had a pernicious effect upon virtue, pity, and love, and young men used to machines which induce inertia, and fear, are near impotent.
Know thyself? A maxim as pernicious as it is ugly. Whoever observes himself arrests his own development. A caterpillar who wanted to know itself well would never become a butterfly.
In our view, the United States and other NATO members should have long abandoned the pernicious one-sided steps in the missile defence field. They wouldn't have to worry about the consequences then.
Images & Illustrations of pernicious
Translations for pernicious
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- пагубен, гибеленBulgarian
- verderblich, schädlich, perniziös, tödlich, bösartigGerman
- θανατηφόρος, ολέθριοςGreek
- haitallinen, tappava, tuhoisa, turmiollinenFinnish
- nocif, dangereux, délétère, pernicieux, malsain, nuisibleFrench
- sgriosailScottish Gaelic
- schadelijk, destructief, dodelijkDutch
- zgubny, groźny, szkodliwyPolish
- vătămător, dăunător, perniciosRomanian
- пагубный, гибельный, вредный, тлетворныйRussian
- muzır, pernisiyöz, zararlı, ölümcül, habisTurkish
Get even more translations for pernicious »
Find a translation for the pernicious definition in other languages:
Select another language: