Definitions for pathologicalˌpæθ əˈlɒdʒ ɪ kəl
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
path•o•log•i•calˌpæθ əˈlɒdʒ ɪ kəl(adj.)
of or pertaining to pathology.
caused or affected by disease.
Category: Pathology, Psychiatry
characterized by an unhealthy compulsion:
a pathological liar.
Origin of pathological:
of or relating to the practice of pathology
caused by or evidencing a mentally disturbed condition
"a pathological liar"; "a pathological urge to succeed"
diseased, morbid, pathologic, pathological(adj)
caused by or altered by or manifesting disease or pathology
"diseased tonsils"; "a morbid growth"; "pathologic tissue"; "pathological bodily processes"
Pertaining to pathology.
Relating to or caused by a physical or mental disorder.
Having properties which are counterintuitive or difficult to handle.
Having properties that cause unusually bad behaviour, especially regarding correctness or performance.
of or pertaining to pathology
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. [scientific computation] Used of a data set that is grossly atypical of normal expected input, esp. one that exposes a weakness or bug in whatever algorithm one is using. An algorithm that can be broken by pathological inputs may still be useful if such inputs are very unlikely to occur in practice. 2. When used of test input, implies that it was purposefully engineered as a worst case. The implication in both senses is that the data is spectacularly ill-conditioned or that someone had to explicitly set out to break the algorithm in order to come up with such a crazy example. 3. Also said of an unlikely collection of circumstances. “If the network is down and comes up halfway through the execution of that command by root, the system may just crash.” “Yes, but that's a pathological case.” Often used to dismiss the case from discussion, with the implication that the consequences are acceptable, since they will happen so infrequently (if at all) that it doesn't seem worth going to the extra trouble to handle that case (see sense 1).
Translations for pathological
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
the science of diseases.
- مُتَعَلِّق في عِلْم الأمْراضArabic
- patológicoPortuguese (BR)
- وابسته به بیماری یا علت بیماریFarsi
- रोग विज्ञानीयHindi
- patologinis, patologiškasLithuanian
- وابسته به بیماری یا علت بیماریPersian
- دناروغۍ په پيژند ګلوى پورې مربوطPashto
- 病理學的Chinese (Trad.)
- علوم امراض سے متعلقUrdu
- bệnh lýVietnamese
- 病理学的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for pathological »
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"pathological." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2013. Web. 21 May 2013. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/pathological>.